Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite/ easiest houseplants you CAN grow

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 0:35

Kind of a sequel to my other post "House plants you can't grow. For me I'd have to say Chinese Evergreen, Peace Lily, Jade, Cactus, Thanksgiving Cactus, and ZZ Plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite/ easiest houseplants you CAN grow

Just about any type of philodendron & Monstera I've tried. Epipremnum aureum is a very easy plant to grow. Dieffenbachia too.

As you've said Spathiphyllum & Zamioculcas, along with most common aroids are pretty easy.

Dracena marginata & Dracena fragrans and various Sansevieria are pretty much plug and play.

o

I have a few. Peace Lily, Pothos, ZZ Plant, Peperomia (specifically P. caperata), and African Violet (I have the last one near a South window, so I don't have to do much with it at all!).

Planto

o

Swedish Ivy, Peace Lily,Parlor Palm all these grow great for me.

o

Dracena, bolivian Jew and snake plant all get plenty of neglect from me and still keep on trucken :) of yeah and my dwarf sheffelara has takena few beatings in its life.

o

Dracaenas, 'all except Goldianna,' Pothos, 'grow like weeds,' cactus, 'those I like, especially Optunia.' Toni

o

Dracena, bolivian Jew and snake plant all get plenty of neglect from me and still keep on trucken :) of yeah and my dwarf sheffelara has takena few beatings in its life.

o

Like CB the easiest plants for me are the ones that can dry out but also I need ones that can tolerate my limey water. Cacti aren't the best because of the low light situation I have here all winter. I have to not water them at all all winter, which is long here, and if I do start watering them before the days get long, then they stretch and look not so hot. But I have a few anyway. Also it can be pretty cold here in my wood heated house in the winter, and hot sometimes in my non air conditioned house in the summer. That said, I can grow African violets pretty easily, although they will take a bloom hiatus in the summer. Also lipstick does okay, although it tends to decline over time. Hoyas are great, and haworthia. I have a lot of Xmas, TC's Easter cacti, and they do okay. Also Oxalis. I have four kinds, and they are one of the most carefree blooming plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here