Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moogle8

Money Tree Propagation Question

Moogle8
10 years ago

I have one surviving money tree piece and it appears to be doing well. I'm thinking of trying to propagate it, but I'm not quite sure where to do the cuttings. I poked around for a bit and heard that you're suppose to cut the stem, but I wanted some clarification before I continued.

A picture with 2 possible cut locations:
{{gwi:92562}}

Am I suppose to do a clean cut at position 1 or 2? Or is there another possible location that I should be cutting at? Also, if I cut it, where would the original grow the new leaves? My money tree seems to just grow to the ceiling, it never really seems to grow wider.

Comments (9)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

You could do both and have three if you'd like. :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, you could cut at both locations.
    Personally, I'd prune it down to about 1-inch above the bow. Then I'd propagate the top piece at cut 2. I would snip the two leaves above cut 2, then pot.

Josh

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hey Josh...

Weren't you the one with the money tree leaf propagation demo?

Maybe those leaves instead of being snipped...oughta be snapped off by hand with the "heel" intact? :)

10 years ago

Yes, that is a possibility, as well.
    Oh, and yes, I've got a couple Pachira threads floating around here, and I enjoy helping other folks salvage their plants. The reason I didn't mention leaf-propagation is because I can't see how developed those top leaves are. If they are mature, and healthy, there's a good chance they can be rooted.

The leaf-stem, or petiole, must be snapped off intact, just as you mentioned. A dusting of rooting hormone will help, then just plug it into some damp mix and wait, wait, wait.

Josh

• Moogle8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hrm, thanks for the replies :).

Is the bow the wooden part of the plant?

Here's another side view picture of the plant:
    {{gwi:92563}}

So you would recommend cutting #4 and #5. They look pretty mature, so I might even be able to just put them in potting soil with some rooting hormones :)? The leaves just below cut #2 looks pretty bad as part of it turned brown and a couple leaves have already fallen off.

My first picture doesn't show it, but #3 is also fairly large. Was the earlier point to just remove some leaves or remove all large leaves?

How would the original plant grow again once the top of it has been cut off? I've never really seen any growth from it except it going upwards.

10 years ago

The 'bow' is the actual bow that you've used to tie your trunk to the bamboo.

Leaves #3 and #4 should be left on the top-cutting for photosynthesis.

If you want to give propagation a go, I would pluck off all the other leaves and attempt to root them. The more leaves you try, the better your odds at getting one of them to grow roots.

When the top of the plant is removed, new growth will appear from a node (where a leaf used to be), and this will become the new trunk from which more leaves will grow.

Josh

• Moogle8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would even the smaller leaves near the bottom have a chance of rooting?

• Moogle8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the result of my cuts. I decided to leave the smaller leaves on the original since they seemed kind of small and not as healthy as the newest growth ones.

{{gwi:92565}}

Thanks for all the input, I'm hoping I'll soon have 3 pachiras!

10 years ago

Cool! good luck!
    please report back if it works...oh, and don't be tempted to re-pot too soon. Let the leaf develop a lot of roots before moving it. It's best to work on these plants at this time of year, rather than Winter.

Josh