Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fandog

Looking for a cactus that will grow fast and large

fandog
10 years ago

Any ideas what kind of cactus will grow fast and large and will grow indoors in the 6a zone. Also, any cacti that flower or do anything else intersting would be cool. Suggestions?

Comments (19)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi FD,

Perhaps you don't realize it, but this is the Houseplant Forum. I'm guessing you meant to post this Q at Cactus & Succulent Forum where you're likely to get a better response.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

True 'dat, PG.

Fandog, I wonder if you are looking for prickly plants, or also those like Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus?

• User
    10 years ago

Maybe Cereus peruvianus? They get quite tall and have the added benefit of really reduced thorns, so not that prickly for the house. Another feature is that it will bloom in the summer over a period of several days. Flowers open only at night. The one in the picture I have had for over a decade (taken last July). It weighs a ton so I should put it on rollers. Full sun on the deck in the summer, then it endures shade indoors for the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cereus peruvianus

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Cacti can get large but I doubt many -- or any -- are fast.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I agree with Jean. Cacti can get large, but fast???

Seems Optunias are the tallest, hardy cacti.

I did a search...found two sites with hardy cacti, pics and informtion.

Corona Cactus Nursery
    Desert Scape

Don't think either site sells cactus, but you can view pics and read description and care. Toni

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

fandog, you are on here a month and flame somebody like that? What a child! You are sarcastic, have an inflated sense of importance and a very thin skin. You try to make us think you are thoughtful and have researched your flaming post when in fact you are reacting to an innocuous suggestion.

Yes, there is an active C&S forum on GW. Are you so daft that you can't figure out that that would be a place for a more complete answer? Really? So instead you take the opportunity to flame one of the regular posters on here. What a hoot! That says much more about you than it does about PG and her respectful answer. Yes, she can be blunt, sometimes verging on insult, but if you really knew what you were talking about, you would see that this is a veneer that covers a very giving person.

Shame on you for your crass mean post. And shame on me for bringing it back to the top. You can add me to the list of people who won't open your posts, and I hope the whole GW community turns its back on you like you deserve.

If you want drama, go back to your little group of friends who spend their days on their I-phones sending each other little mean texts.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

My goodness! Where did all of that come from? Never mind, I don't want to know. Fandog, when someone points out that there is a much visited, plant specific forum, it is done ONLY to be helpful.

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ive already posted a similar question on the c and s forum and didnt recieve much advice so i posted it on this forum where it seems i receive more responses.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Some times I type some thing that sounds mean but that is not what I meant it to be. I think we need thicker skins here. We are plant lovers after all. I see these things go too far and some just quit posting all together. I hope P.G. keeps posting. I love here advise. Give her a chance.
    Stush

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

fandog, 1. I have seen many cacti of all shapes, sizes & colors - grown indoors.

1. I have been chided on the forums for one reason or another.
    2. I have devised a strategy which has worked for me - most of the time.
      I refer to the statement at the top of the forum
      This one reads This forum is meant for the discussion of house plants--how to care for them, recommendations for selections, sources for plants, etc.
      I always address my post to the OP. (S)He originates the thread and deserves that deference. I look to the OP as I would look to the leader of any discussion.
      It is not 100% foolproof.
  • grrr4200
    10 years ago

i believe i commented on your Cactus post. I grow cactus as houseplants where i live because we get 4 months of summer lol.

I've had amazing luck and speed in growing euphorbias (all types) Green crest, ammak, candelabra, also puruvians. Blue torch, san pedro. I get almost 16'' of growth a year on my variegated euphorbia ammaks. For my climate i think thats pretty fast

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any idea where i can find these euporbia ammaks? Thanks for the advice/suggestions.

• grrr4200
    10 years ago

The Ammaks are hard to come by, i got mine while in AZ at greenhouses. I keep my eye out on Ebay which once and a while has one for sale. If you have any local greenhouses in the area you can see if they can special order you one. The smaller you start out the better because they get expensive the bigger they are. The ones ive been growing can easily catch 500 dollars now

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Try Bob Smoley's GardenWorld on internet. Bought from him many times and never had a problem. He sells a lot of cuttings cheap so you have to know how to grow cuttings.

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are ammaks hard to root from a cutting? Ive grown several plants from cuttings but never a cactus.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Stush,

I thought I'd heard recently that Bob Smalley had been ill. Haven't heard if they're still shipping while he's ill.

• laurie_cash83
    5 years ago

Fandog (6a),

i have a flower bed that had two large sagos in it and the winter freeze killed one of them. So I need to replace it. I think a sago of that size would be very expensive. So I was wondering about any cactus that get wide and grow about 4' tall. I live in Central Texas and cactus does great here. Any suggestions?

• E. Groeg
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Dragonfruit (Hylocereus) cactuses have been really fast-growing in my experience. A cutting reached the top of a 2 metre fence in 6 months or so.