Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What temps can spider plants tolerate?

Posted by pumpkineater2 9b (Jsnsnw15@gmail.com) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 1:58

Okay, I've got a bunch of spider plants, and I want to put some outside and I want them to stay outside year round so that I can have more room in the house. The only thing is that I live in Phoenix Arizona and I am not sure that they can handle the summertime high temps, usually around 110-115 degrees, sometimes really close to if not at 120. I plan to keep them in the shade under my porch in the summer but in the winter I plan to keep them in full sun. Winter nights are usually around 25- 35 degrees. Surely they could survive winter temps as long as I take appropriate measures to keep them from getting frost. I know that spiders are native to South Africa but I have no clue what conditions they are subject to there. Any advice is helpful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What temps can spider plants tolerate?

In the ground, I can vouch for 9 degrees to 105-ish. Once dug up, (which I did this past winter,) light frost won't bother the foliage, or even the naked roots. The lowest temp we had all winter (this past, when the dug-up spider plants sat in a giant plastic tub while we waited for them to die) was 25. Not at all fatal.

Just make sure your pot is big enough for those giant roots.

o

Yes, spider plants are one if the not most temperature tolerant plants in my houseplant collection

o

Your plants would be FAR more temperature tolerant if planted than kept in containers. I've seen them used in the landscaping at Hilton Head, SC., where it doesn't get as hot as where you are, or as dry, but they sure see sub freezing temperatures.

o

Thanks everyone for your input. I will put them out this fall when the temps are nice As opposed to putting them out now so it will be easier and less stressful for them to adapt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here