Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxbrandixx64

Can someone name this plant for me!?

xxbrandixx64
11 years ago

I recieved these cuttings of this plant from a friend and she doesnt know the plants real name, she thought they were elephant ears but they look nothing like regular elephant ear plants. I need someone to tell me what this plant is called so I can search for the proper plant care on it. I took a picture to help identify it. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Bit difficult to tell from that photo. The closest leaf looks like a Syngonium. The other one not so much, but it is difficult to see it clearly. It is an aroid though so keep it damp but not too wet. Keep it in bright light but not direct sun and not too hot. They usually come up with a new shoot in the leaf axils.

Did you see the original plant the cuttings came off? Syngonium is a vining plant and needs some sort of totem to climb on.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Yes, those are the leaves of a Syngonium. If they are simply leaves with the attached petiole, they won't develop roots. But if some of the actual stem is attached, these are usually quite easy to root

• xxbrandixx64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres a better picture.. I looked up the plant and yes it does look similar but what about the two extra small leaves that stick out from the big middle one? The pics i found on bing didnt show me any that looked exactly like my plant (in the pic.) I really do appreciate the answers though and im gonna do some more digging but please respond to my new picture and tell me what you think! Thank you! :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

That is one hundred percent a Syngonium. If you look carefully at the google images, you'll find some plants exhibiting the same physical characteristics as yours.....the phenotype.

• xxbrandixx64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes i seen it after i posted that. I found on reading about it that the reason they looked different is because my plant is considered an "adult" and thats why the leaves are split now the pictures i seen earlier looked different because they had not split yet. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it.

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

I grow many of these in my bedroom! very easy to grow and propagate! Mine all LOVE my west window, water once a week and spray once in a while the leaves will change shape as the plant matures. They can climb or hang in a hanging basket. I have about 5 of the different varies. I would put some plastic over your put to help rooting it looks a little limp to me.....Any how the less you mess with it the better it will do for you once you get it going!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I think the pot is way too big & may be causing problems for the plant. I'm guessing it stays wet too long & may be starting to rot.

If it were mine I'd turn it out to check & while there, switch to a smaller pot & add about 1/3 perlite to this mix.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Leaves from young Syngonium plants are very different from those of adult plants. They are extremely easy to propagate from stem cuttings. But possibly the easiest way to do it is in plastic bags. Just put the cutting inside with a little water and keep in a light warm place. They just sprout roots all over and then you just place them in a pot.

Syngonium is a weed at my place, very difficult to eradicate. Photo of one of my trees being overtaken.

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

oh my! I love your overtaken tree! Looks like a jungle tree!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm