Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena help

Posted by josh222 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 2:29

I have had a Dracaena Marginata for about 8 years, and it was doing fine until it started dying a few years ago, when I realized I had to change the pot as the plant seemed to big. I changed the pot within the last year, and it doesn't seem to be growing very much if at all. I've had it this long and it's size is nearly the same as when first bought. I've read that they can be 15 feet tall. Why isn't it growing? Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena help

Have you used a slow-release fertilizer ? I feed my plants starting in early spring and through the summer.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 13:42

The main suspects would be root congestion, low fertility, low light. Can you eliminate any of those as not applicable?

Al

o

I don't think root congestion is the problem anymore as it is in a bigger pot. It gets a fair amount of indirect light, and as far as fertilizer, I use miracle grow liquid houseplant food about once a month.

o

Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:03

Taking a plant out of a pot and placing it in a larger pot (potting up) doesn't eliminate the effects of root congestion in the original root mass. Repotting, on the other hand, which includes removing all or most of the old soil and pruning roots, does.

Al

o

Would you mind explaining to me in further detail on how to do this?

o

Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 21:29

Lop off the bottom half of the root/soil mass with a pruning saw. Use a chopstick, skewer, or wood dowel partially sharpened in a pencil sharpener to remove the soil from the rest of the root mass, keeping it moist or wet at all times as you work - don't allow the roots to dry out. If there are heavy roots remaining, prune the heaviest of the roots short. Repot into a fast draining soil, using the chopstick to integrate the soil into the root mass so there are no air pockets.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here