Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Can I pollinate Chinese Evergreen flowers?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

I want to create some seed.

Comments (10)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Aglaonema, being an aroid, grows an inflorescence which is a structure that has both male and female flowers growing on it. I can't remember for sure but it may be the case that the female flower develop first and mature then the male flowers develop after the female are done so then might not self produce although in some aroids there's an overlap.

You can try to save the pollen or if you have several inflorescence growing at the same time you can use a small brand new paint brush to transfer the pollen to the female flowers.

To get a better understanding of aroid reproduction read this page;

"Aroid reproduction"

These pages have info on commercial production of Aglaonema;

"Commercial Production 1"

"Commercial Production 2"

This post was edited by dellis326 on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 9:00

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

My seedlings. :)

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

asleep_in_the_garden , How old are those, and how did you pollinate them?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Germinated them earlier this year sometime. the actual record is in another thread somewhere around here,but I know they are a few months old now.

Brief synopsis...I collected the seed at my local library although I've no idea how they were pollinated. It's something of an unsolved mystery,but if it happened here then I'm certain it would happen anywhere,right? SOMEthing pollinated it but typically that task falls to a type of beetle that I'm assuming isn't native to my neck of the woods at all.

For now I'm just happy to have them(although they aren't in any hurry to grow up).

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I haven't seen any berries forming on the ones I put in the ground this spring. They are blooming well, still some time, if there's a critter here who can do the job...

Asleep, how cool!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

The way I understand it,the male flowers at the top of the spadix have to be giving pollen at the same time as the female flowers at the bottom of the spadix on a separate plant are receptive to it...a narrow window...and the male flowers are done on a plant before the female flowers are ready so self pollination is generally impossible.

Oh and thanks Purp! Totally hope the miracle occurs in your yard. Good vibes for berries!

You absolutely have to experience this! As these little guys grow up a bit I'm hoping that the subtle differences I already see will become more pronounced.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Update on seedlings.

They're toughening up!

Been slow going but I'm seeing improvements. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Good luck with the maria. Hope you can get results. The ag I have that actually flowers for me only does so rarely and has never put off any fruit,but maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Many of my seedlings were killed by frost when I was forced to put my plants out too early(long story),but I still have quite a few left from the last collection of berries that I harvested from a plant at my local library,which sadly isn't there anymore,so there won't be any more chances to start from scratch again.

Just the other day I pulled a fair number out of a terrarium and potted them all together in a larger container. Many of the leaves have yellowed,but I have hope that they will be replaced with healthier ones soon enough.

I intend to go on a photo shooting spree tomorrow,so I'll have to round up what all I have left of them and get a group shot.

Stay tuned! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Okay I'm back.

Here's what the group planting described above is looking like at the moment(again,..forgive the yellowing) -

Here's a straight on shot -

The rest of the seedlings from above -

Annnnnd straight on(ish) -

The two in the somewhat larger containers in the foreground are survivors from the killing chill,and are a tad more developed. There may be one or two more of those mixed in with the group planting as well.

I only just now removed them from terrariums and put them out front for taking pics,but for now I think I'm going to leave them there until it starts getting cold again(which won't be that long from now actually). I'm sure they will appreciate a little bit of REAL light for a change. I should have done this months ago...but better late than never I guess.