Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I pollinate Chinese Evergreen flowers?

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 3:26

I want to create some seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I pollinate Chinese Evergreen flowers?

Aglaonema, being an aroid, grows an inflorescence which is a structure that has both male and female flowers growing on it. I can't remember for sure but it may be the case that the female flower develop first and mature then the male flowers develop after the female are done so then might not self produce although in some aroids there's an overlap.

You can try to save the pollen or if you have several inflorescence growing at the same time you can use a small brand new paint brush to transfer the pollen to the female flowers.

To get a better understanding of aroid reproduction read this page;

"Aroid reproduction"

These pages have info on commercial production of Aglaonema;

"Commercial Production 1"

"Commercial Production 2"

This post was edited by dellis326 on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 9:00

o

My seedlings. :)

o

asleep_in_the_garden , How old are those, and how did you pollinate them?

o

Germinated them earlier this year sometime. the actual record is in another thread somewhere around here,but I know they are a few months old now.

Brief synopsis...I collected the seed at my local library although I've no idea how they were pollinated. It's something of an unsolved mystery,but if it happened here then I'm certain it would happen anywhere,right? SOMEthing pollinated it but typically that task falls to a type of beetle that I'm assuming isn't native to my neck of the woods at all.

For now I'm just happy to have them(although they aren't in any hurry to grow up).

o

I haven't seen any berries forming on the ones I put in the ground this spring. They are blooming well, still some time, if there's a critter here who can do the job...

Asleep, how cool!

o

The way I understand it,the male flowers at the top of the spadix have to be giving pollen at the same time as the female flowers at the bottom of the spadix on a separate plant are receptive to it...a narrow window...and the male flowers are done on a plant before the female flowers are ready so self pollination is generally impossible.

Oh and thanks Purp! Totally hope the miracle occurs in your yard. Good vibes for berries!

You absolutely have to experience this! As these little guys grow up a bit I'm hoping that the subtle differences I already see will become more pronounced.

o

Update on seedlings.

They're toughening up!

Been slow going but I'm seeing improvements. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here