Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I do with this poor thing?

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 4:43

I completely forgot I had a ZZ Plant for 5 MONTHS and this is the end result. I'm amazed it's still alive although it doesn't look great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I do with this poor thing?

Just start to water it, but don't drown it, take it easy. These plants are unbelievably strong, I think it will bounce back with some TLC.

o

It may be fine. They've evolved to handle drought. Although it is better to water them every now and then. People often refer to them as succulents but they really are not. These are plants from wet to dry(ish) forests and savannas that have a true dry season and wet season.

Un-pot it and check for anything dead and then set it up in a good potting mix. If you have any tubers that have dead rachis attached but still feel firm, re-pot those too.

This post was edited by dellis326 on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 8:49

o

Should I tie it up so it stays up straight?

o

You can if you want, I don't think it makes any difference to the plant.

Once they get some size they spread out a little bit and don't always grow upright.

o

If the bulbs are smushed against the side of the pot, that could be making it (them) unhappy, might need more space. A little one I got recently was bowing, pushing out the sides of the plastic pot. There were 4 actual bulbs in there, totally without any space to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here