Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP ! Repotted Dracaena Marginata plant (incorrectly I think)

Posted by newbie25 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 5:56

Yesterday I repotted my Dracaena Marginata from a 10" pot into 12.5". Being a newbie to plants , I perhaps haven't done things the right way- its a plant I love so want to make sure I've done things correctly

The leaves had become droopy, the soil constantly dry even after I watered it , plus roots were coming out of the bottom so it was definitely needing a new pot ( I think)

So when I took it out of its old pot and into the new , I put about 3 inches worth of soil underneath but what I didn't do was loosen the roots , I just put it into the new pot and put soil around the sides and on the top.

Really worried it's going to die now because I didn't loosen its roots. I did this yesterday , my question is do I take it out of the pot again and re-do it properly and loosen the roots?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP ! Repotted Dracaena Marginata plant (incorrectly I think

I'm sure it will be fine, I've done the same thing with some of my plants and they survived. There are some plants that you cant disturb the root ball but this is not one of them.. Others will come along and give you more advice :>)
Christine

o

Thanks Christine!

Other views also appreciated.

Have attached a photo of the plant

o

Thanks Christine!

Other views also appreciated.

Have attached a photo of the plant

o

newbie25, its beautiful, its so full & healthy, no wonder you didnt want to loose it....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here