Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrimp Plant

Posted by FlowerPotTipper 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 6:27

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Shrimp plant, Justicia brandegeana. I've seen them in almost all my houseplant books, especially the older ones from the 1970's, but have never actually seen one for sale. Anyways, my local plant nursery just got 4 of them in, and of course I snatched one up, $15 for a 3 qt. plant, and it's very beautiful. But of course all my plant books and plant websights have different advise on caring for it. So I was hoping that maybe someone here has one or use to have one and could give me advise on caring for it. I would be very sad if it dies cause it wont be easy to replace since they seem to be uncommon in my area, and it's so neat looking. It even has a few blooms coming out of those orange bracts.

Also a few of the bracts are turning black (very few, it came that way) but everythng I read does agree that it's caused from over head watering, so does that mean no fine-spray mist for humidity??

Thank you
-flowerpottipper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrimp Plant

Hi FlowerPotTipper,

It's a coincidence that you got one of these for yourself, because after losing mine a couple of years ago I finally got one again last week, to my delight.

It is in my experience a very easy plant, any ordinary proprietary compost seems to suit, free-draining; at different times I have grown mine in John Innes, in peat-based compost, and in a mix of peat and cactus soil, so you can see it's not that picky. It does like to be moist, not waterlogged, and if the air is too dry the leaves will curl under; at the same time it is not a high-humidity plant. It enjoys a windowsill, not too hot, and it doesn't mind sunshine, or lack of it if it is in a bright enough spot. Before the bracts drop off I notice they can turn black, and it doesn't seem to cause any harm. You can have it in flower the whole year. Some people like to cut it back when it gets leggy, but I don't like to lose the bracts, the flowers inside the bracts drop after a while but the bracts persist for a relatively long time. I hope this plant comes into vogue again because it really deserves it. I have only ever seen the 'ordinary' one (there is nothing ordinary about this plant however), but there are varieties with yellow bracts, one called 'Yellow Queen', and hopeful author here told me there is also a variegated variety.

I hope you really enjoy your plant.

o

Flower, I agree with Marguerite's advice...I misted when plant wasn't in bud or flower.

Accents sells several color Beloperone's.
Noah, Purple, Red, white, yellow, and Variegated..

Good luck w/both Shrimps...Toni

o

By the way, if it seems a contradiction that I say it's an easy plant yet lost mine, it's because I had it in an unheated greenhouse, and the snow and ice of December before last took us all and our plants by surprise. My new shrimp plant will be living indoors.

Now I'm going to look at the website you mention, Toni, even if I can't buy from the US, I can window shop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here