Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Novelty plants, part II

For some reason, the original discussion is broken in some way, and new posts can't be added.

Someone is now painting Sans with 'velvet.' This is the 2nd one I've seen. Not just any Sans, but S. cylindrica, which I've never seen for sale. Now someone is ruining them?! I definitely have an opinion about this one - it sucks.

Comments (14)

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

I've recently bought myself a Sans. cylindrica, but it wasn't dipped in paint like that one you linked to. This makes me wonder about who sits around and comes up with these ideas. It's bad enough having these plants sitting on the wrong shelves in the wrong lighting being neglected once they reach the stores. (This year, I've seen sun-loving roses being displayed indoors, while shade-loving plants were being scorched outdoors in direct sunlight.) Now they smother them in paint, inhibiting both respiration and photosynthesis? Who in their right mind would ever consider this to be a good idea? It's just mind-boggling. I thought that the Sans. cylindrica was enough of a novelty all on its own. I had never seen one before and just had to have it in my collection. I didn't need it to be smothered in paint in order for me to buy it either.

• benateli
    9 years ago

I hate when I see this kind of stuff. I've seen it on these and blue/gold/pink paint and/or glitter on succulents, and of course those awful strawflower "cactus blooms" hot glued on to cacti. Not to mention the awful rocks that are glued on, trapping some "bonsai" tree or succulent dish garden.

And then yesterday I saw blue orchids. Why isn't nature beautiful enough on its own for people? I do not understand.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is not something I prefer, or would do to a plant, but I got it. I apologize to the purists, and I asked if they had any not yet gussied-up, but there weren't any. As far as decorated/altered/novelty plants go, I do think it's daggone cute, and minimally intrusive to the plant.

As a Philo-phile, the plain species was on my wish list. Pretty sure it would be unlikely for me to ever see another one without "reindeer effects," this was my first sighting of any version (plain species or cultivar.) The decorations will fall off eventually, and hopefully the silly leaf shine will fade away too. What are folks' thoughts about trying to remove it with rubbing alcohol, cotton balls? Should I ask what it is first? (It is the kind of store where I would get an answer.)

Philodendron bipennifolium 'Panda'

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Speaking about novelties there is this interesting post 2 checkout in the sanseviera forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowee sanseviera

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

I guess glowees are not that bad for new gardeners looking for something unique, and thee is no known health effects...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Couldn't remember where I'd seen that post before and Teen up and pulls it out of his hat! Thanks man! I wonder if Justin would defend the velvet as well. I thought it might be interesting to start a poll here to determine if anyone who posts here actually LIKES modifications.

Edited to say that the poll is up now.
    Maybe the poll should have started here...hmmmm...I hope Purp doesn't feel like I hijacked her!

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 16:01

• kalley77
    9 years ago

Hello Purpleinopp
    What store did you get that plant from and was it recent. I would love to have one

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Purp, that is soooo cute! Why not have a sense of humor about something so adorable? It's Philodendron bipennifolium.

I hate the glossy leaf shine, too. I would take a soft washcloth, moistened with water then dipped in alcohol....rub the surfaces gently to remove.

As far as all of the florist paint and glitter....tacky, icky!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Had a bipennifolium many years ago but lost it along with the rest of that entire collection. Seeing that pic(with the exception of the seasonal touch of course)takes me back.

Thanks for the tip,Rhizo. I remember when someone bought me a bottle of leaf shine and surprised me with it as a gift. For all their good intentions,the moment they were gone,it went in the trash. Eh'...they meant well anyway.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TG, agreed, the Glowee discussion is an interesting part of the novelty plant discussion.

Asleep, until recently I would have said "don't like" on all modifications but some of the novelties I've seen lately, IMVHO, aren't in the same category of intrusiveness.

Kalley, if you happen to live in the area, I got it at Dothan Nursery, Dothan AL. If you're not in the area, a mom'n'pop store near you might have them, IDK, never seen this before. I don't think the store where I got them grew them, or invented the decorating idea.

Rhizo, I think it's adorable too, I admit it. TY for the tip about the shine. That part's a novelty at my house too. The most shine a leaf is going to get here is to be cleaned as you describe (or with a cotton ball.)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

I haved to admit also that philo is adoreable............

I almost must admit I bought a novelty Poinsettia today...Hoping I can keep it alive 2 reflower it again and make it not a seasonal novelty.......

I think 2 be wasting the rather rare cylindrical on that is rather disturbing 2 me, whats next? Painting calamodin orange plants blue???

• paul_
    9 years ago

While not a fan of the novelty looks, I do have to say that reindeer philo is humorous and adorable.

Leafshine doesn't bother me.

Here's one for ya ... (and adding insult to injury it isn't even a GOOD paint job!)

Here is a link that might be useful: bad paint job

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

PAINTED ANTHURIUMS!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW UGLY THOSE ARE............sorry for scary caps

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

For real.

I wish someone could get through to the people who do this and make them stop.

The thing that's killing me is that supply meets demand. If it wasn't working,they'd stop doing it.

Who woulda guessed that so many sales were being made?

I guess the majority of plant sales go to people who just end up killing them within a week anyway,which of course the shop owners don't mind a bit...more money for them!