Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants4chris

Growing Jasmine Indoors

plants4chris
16 years ago

I would like to try a jasmine as a houseplant. Is anyone growing them indoors? I'm thinking it would be similar to growing a gardenia indoors? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (10)

• enjoy

I have had the same Jasmine plant this is the 5th year now. It is beautiful and smells great. Have no idea which one it is as I just saw and bought it.
    I take it outside about the 1st of June and bring it in mid-septemberish. Within about 2 weeks of seeing real sun and heat outdoors it sprouts all kinds of new shoots and leaves and then flowers all summer.
    Generally, indoors, mine flowers until december and then seldom after that.
    My biggest complaint? SCALE! Every winter indoors it gets worse as the winter progresses and then is completely free of signs of scale within a week or so of moving it outside.
    Any thoughts on the scale issue?

• enjoy

I have had the same Jasmine plant this is the 5th year now. It is beautiful and smells great. Have no idea which one it is as I just saw and bought it.
    I take it outside about the 1st of June and bring it in mid-septemberish. Within about 2 weeks of seeing real sun and heat outdoors it sprouts all kinds of new shoots and leaves and then flowers all summer.
    My biggest complaint? SCALE! Every winter indoors it gets worse as the winter progresses and then is completely free of signs of scale within a week or so of moving it outside.

• enjoy

• enjoy

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Chris actually growing Jasmine indoors is a lot easier than gardenia,...do you have a jasmine picked out yet?
    My favorite is Maid of Orleans..I also have 2 star Jasmines, one variegated, but they're a lot harder to keep indoors, especially during winter.
    The Maid of Orlenas blooms throughout the yr and very fragrant..You can get one at www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com for 4.95 The plant comes in a 4" pot and quite tall, over 8" w/flowers and buds..
    Mine is kept in an upstairs bathroom, west window. When I shower, and soil seems a dry, or just want to hose leaves, I bring plants inside shower. They love it..helps w/humidity, and keeps leaves clean..Toni

• ankraras
    16 years ago

I keep a few Jasmine sambac growing in a full sun location, many in partly shade and a few more in complete shade. All seem to do quite well. They are always fascinating me with a blossom mass of hundreds and hundreds of flowers. I do love all single and double flower varieties.

I do belive that Jasmine, Gardenia and many other plants will tolerate lack of full sun in my climate zone. I would suggest try growing them outdoors during spring through fall then indoors during the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine and others

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Ank, don't know if it's my computer, but I didn't get a pic...just about blank..Toni

• ankraras
    16 years ago

Hi;- The link will be compatible with IE6 or lower browser. Sorry.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

The best Jasmine for indoor growing, that I know of, is Jasminum sambac. Maid or Orleans is a cultivar of it. It really is everblooming under the right circumstances.

There are 2 others that are sometimes offered through the big box stores. One is Jasminum nitidum which requires a cooler period to bloom. But can be trimmed to suit your growing area.

The other is Jasminum polyanthum. It's a vining plant that has one flush of bloom in the spring after a cool period in winter. It's beautiful ...for a week or so...then, pffft!

Give the J. sambac a try...you'll like it. And not NEARLY as much trouble as a gardenia. :)

Dave
    Milwaukee

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Enjoy, I use Fish Emulsion to rid scale and as a preventative; it works great..the only problem is FE has a fishy smell. What I do is spray while plants are outside, then bring them in two days later, scent is gone..they also sell an odorless type.
    I use 1 capful per 16oz mister of water. Spray thoroughly.
    Others like Neem Oil..Never tried it so don't have an opinion.. So, give it a try..it also works as a last foliar feeding. Toni

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH