Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor plant help

Posted by Crippleicious none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 7:56

Hello,

I am growing a few plants indoor due to the climate zone I live in and the plants I am growing. At the moment I have a Hawaiian Hybiscus, Salvia Divinorum, and a Pinapple Sage. All of which blew up from May-June though now toward the end of July they are all seeming to thin out and their leaves are browning/dying.

I read that being that they are tropical plants they may not be getting enough humidity since I'm an a dry climate and our central air draws out moisture, so I have been misting them 3 times a day. Though it is not seeming to help.

I'm assuming since it is effecting all 3 plants it could be some sort of virus or something to that affect. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated!

(I will post pictures of the plants once I get home from work)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor plant help

about all I know to do for humidity is place plants on a tray with pebbles and water. the pebbles should elevate the plant so its not sitting in the water. from what I've read on here misting is not at all effective to raise humidity. also try to get them as much light as possible, south or west facing windows.

o

Crippleicious, all three plants are tropical and flowering. After they have bloomed, they will put on (vegetative) growth. During this period the best thing you can do for them is to provide all the right conditions for them to grow.
Water, fertilizer and light are the most important.
The thinning and browning suggest that moisture may be the limiting factor.
After a while they will start to set flower buds which will tell you that the plants are entering the the stage of reproductive growth and the requirements will be different.

o

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will try the pebbles and a humidifier if misting is ineffective.

o

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will try the pebbles and a humidifier if misting is ineffective.

o

I question that these particular plants will ever be happy inside the typical home. Some plants are are simply not adaptable.

o

Howdy,

Although the three plants you listed are tropicals, Salvia and Pineapple Sage are best grown outdoors.
Indoor garden window, or green house.
All are grown as annuals in cold climates, and perennials in warm climates.

WARNING: Salvia divinorum can be used to get high, especially if smoked.
If you have children/pets, especially teens, keep your Salvia in a safe place.

Out of the three plants, Hibiscus is the easiest acclimating inside a home.

Salvia and Sage not only require humidity, but plenty of sun (Salvia will thrive in some shade) and fresh air.
Hibiscus needs sun, fresh air, and a fair amount of humidity, but adapt indoors.

C, I've never seen your name before, so Welcome.
Are you new to plants? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here