Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick corn plant

Posted by serenac (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 8:03

Hi everyone,

I received this corn plant as a house warming gift 6 months ago. I watered it very, very rarely (like once a month) for the first 3-4 months but then it started looking a little droopy so I started it watering it every 2 weeks recently (about 3-4 cups each time). The smallest "stalk" looks really bad but I don't know what to do. Now I'm afraid the other stalks are going in that direction. The color of their leaves are turning lighter and the leaves are curling in and drooping.

I live in Taipei so when no one's home, the apartment can get very warm and muggy but when we're in, the A/C is always on. Would these conditions affect the plant's health?

I haven't had much success in the past with houseplants so my confidence in my abilities is pretty low. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick corn plant

The soil the plant is standing in looks very compacted. I think it could do with repotting. It doesn't look that bad, to be honest. Just for the moment until it looks thriving again, try and gently break up the topsoil, topdress it with a good houseplant compost, if the soil the depth of a finger down is dry, water it thoroughly by immersing it in the sink, then place it in a bright, not draughty place and see what happens. If an occasional watering only reaches the top of the soil in the put, that's no good to the plant. In these circumstances it needs a thorough drenching.

o
RE: Sick corn plant

Thanks Marguerite! The soil is very fine, it almost feels like clay when I water the plant. I will try to break up the topsoil and add compost. Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here