My heart leaves philodendron was
Hanging in my living room a week ago
And my 3year old sister hit it with a
Broom like a Pi�ata I trimmed it back,any ideas, it is a very
Healthy plant. Spanish teacher have to me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: make plant grow back quickly

It looks fine. If any of the stems were snapped, just stick them back in with at least 1 node in the soil (remove the leaf from that node if necessary, it will just rot anyway.) Is your little sister showing signs of being a plant-a-holic yet?

o

You will soon find out that most plants recover very quickly from a major hair cut, especially one with a growing habit like yours. You shouldn't do anything to make it grow back any more rapidly than it will happily do on its own power.

Simply provide the plant with enough light to stimulate growth, water and fertilize appropriately and watch it grow. Philodendrons usually look better after their recovery than they did in the first place.

I hope that the little sister was scolded!

o

Yes to both of you, she doesn't know any better
And yes she helps me water sometimes

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 18:01

I trim mine every few years. It's hard to hurt these guys.

o

Trailing plants like this respond very favourably to being fed.

And they love being pruned. I suggest cutting damaged trails back to only a few inches long, as they only regrow from the cut.

o

Yes, there's a lot of fullness there. It should grow back more thick and lush than it was. Whenever a piece gets too long, just snip and replant. I put these pots together with JUST cuttings, some 3-4 feet long.

o

kids and cats-- watchya gonna do?? It looks healthy enough to not to worry much. Mine is very quickly coming back from almost dead (sever sunburned) had only a few leaves to work with, but it is coming along fine. So will yours, I'm sure of it, the way you are with plants.. :)

o

Hey TG, how's the Philo looking? Also wanted to ask you about a Dracaena you had a pic of in another thread that had gotten broken. It looks like it's maybe started 2 new tops? Couldn't tell for sure, (no matter which part of my bifocals I looked through.)

Agreed, Lamora. Teen reminds me of me at that age although I didn't have as many pretty plants, certainly not as well cared for at ALL. I had this plant book with black and white pics and think that's where my attachment to variegated leaves was born.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here