Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Elastica Burgundy doing well and branching

Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 8:49

Just wanted to pop in and show brag a little.

This plant is putting out a new leaf on each stem about every 3 weeks which seems rather fast. It's in a mixture of 1:1 ready mix and perlite and appears to have been grafted, for those who are curious. The plant is in a south facing window and for the most part gets indirect light, though sometimes does take full sun.

The picture doesn't do it justice as in person this plant looks much bigger. The receptacle is in the picture to show relativity.

FIcus Elastica Burgundy:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Elastica Burgundy doing well and branching

• Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 8:54

The branching appears to be below the graft though the leaf seems to look like a ficus elastica burgundy leaf. There is another branching occurring just behind it on another stem though it cannot be seen in this picture.

Ficus Elastica Burgundy:

o

Pretty, I also come to brag occasionally

o

Your tree looks very healthy!

o

Very pretty! An ant could definitely not move it!

o

bedtime, i don't think it's a graft. looks more like wire constriction. i can see it on the front 3 trunks. why would they bind it with wire? may be to force branching below?

o

How do you get your leaves to be so convex? How do you get yours to branch. I have one with concave leaves that i cannot make branch. Advice?

o

Fandog, He brought it like that. It is very tricky to make them branch, as rhizo tried telling you that time. and also, convex and concave leaves are both very common

o

Bedtime, that's a lovely plant! I think that the "Burgundy " does much better in plenty of light, unlike some of the other Ficus elastica. They seem to become spindly, to lean towards any window if grown in low light. Yours is obviously happy.

Ficus elastica "Burgundy " aren't grafted, but propagated by stem (cane segments) cuttings. At home, we can easily grow more plants from cuttings, or air layering.

Teen, about your comment regarding the curling leaves....the usual culprits for rubber plants are improper watering....too much OR too little.....and low humidity. I'd even hypothesize that poor light can cause the leaves to curve under in order to expose more surface area to the light.

o

Bedtime... What is that small growth comin from the bottom of your plant. I have the same coming from mines. I will post a pic. Actually two...one of the whole plant, and the other will be the small growth coming from the base of the plant. Thank you in advance.

o

Bedtime... What is that small growth comin from the bottom of your plant. I have the same coming from mines. I will post a pic. Actually two...one of the whole plant, and the other will be the small growth coming from the base of the plant. Thank you in advance.

o

Here is a pic of the small growth coming from the base of the plant. Please tell me what it is and how and why it appeared. Thanks!!!

o

I have those on mine aswell, It is gonna be another branch.

o

Your plant looks great. Nice job. I love a well grown Rubber Tree Plant.

o

beautiful

o

What is the growth coming from the base...I understand it will be another branch, but what I'm asking is how did it form?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here