Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

a GOOD egg, green lacewing

Found this on a Dieffenbachia leaf and was thrilled! Haven't seen any adults, but apparently my porch has been visited. But don't these usually lay their eggs where there is a food source? To the best of my knowledge and vision, there are no pests on the porch plants. But a few feet away, there are cucumber vines and elephant ears (Colocasia) with plenty of aphids.

{{gwi:92982}}

Geez Louise, my arthritic thumb looks huge! To see pics taken with better cameras, Google is helpful.

Comments (16)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Lol....I don't think you REALLY have mutant thumbs, do you? Anyway, I'm glad that you posted the google images because yours didn't show that the egg was on a little stalk.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I wonder if this pic looks familiar to Dori?

{{gwi:20801}}

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it's on a little stalk, phones are terrible for closeup pics. I also thought it was weird there was only one. There are probably others around...

My thumbs have been bothering me for a few years but working in the chicken house really escalated it, the joints are much bigger now. But glad it doesn't look as deformed as it feels!

11 years ago

I can't say that I recognize that particular image, Al. It's a good one.

Purple, what kind of chickens are you going to raise? I'll never forget a video that a well-meaning guy posted one year, showing 'how to plant a tree'. I think he was serious about the tree planting demo, but the whole scene was soon taken over by his chickens...in the hole, out of the hole, on the root ball, in the wheel barrow, all of them 'talking' over him that whole time as I remember it. I've tried to find that video again but I guess it's disappeared. I thought it was a riot. I don't even remember if he managed to get the tree planted in spite of all of that 'help'.

Original Author
    11 years ago

O I don't have chickens here, I just help out around Christmas for the extra $$'s at my friend's ranch. Too smelly and hot for summer!

That vid sounds hilarious! Reminds me of when I was trying to dig up some Cannas from my Mom's yard last week right after a rain. Her dumb dog, I thought I threw the ball enough to run her out but just as I stuck my shovel in the first time, I realized (as she jumped on my back) that she wasn't out of energy AND she had just jumped in her baby pool to cool off. By the time I dug up about 6 tubers with her jumping around/on me the whole time, I looked like I had been mud wrestling, which isn't far from the truth. Hope there's NOT a vid of that!

11 years ago

I remember seeing those pictures of the chicken houses in another thread. Surely there is nothing on earth that smells as bad as a big commercial chicken house in the summer.

Original Author
    11 years ago

No doubt! Thankfully we live "in town" and don't smell that here.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I don't know Rhizo, Carallumas at high noon at Dr. Barad's smell pretty darn awful!

Tho' I did play near some chicken coops as a child, they ARE pretty stinky & since it was in Rio, I'm sure I got it in the high summer stick as well (didn't seem to mind it so much then).

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey PG, we're not talking about a chicken coop. This is a whole chicken ranch. Those buildings are full of hundreds of thousands of chickens.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

THAT is what I've been catching on my sticky traps. I was thinking, 'what can be so green?' And now I know. :) Eating up all the bad stuff!

11 years ago

You're catching the adult lacewings? Yikes!

• goddess9
    11 years ago

What is so yikes about that?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I think she means it's akin to tripping Superman while he's trying to rescue you.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

I'm catching them indoors, though. And those sticky traps keep fungus gnat numbers down (along with underwatering and cinnamon). I guess I cannot win them all. :(

That is a rather funny reference though.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, either. ^_^ I just love that your awesome find solved a mystery for me.

I hope they eat all the aphids away.

Original Author
    11 years ago

:+) You gotta do what you gotta do, I get it. Sorry the fungus gnats have descended their plague on you though! Sounds like you're working on it. Good luck!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths