Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston fern

Posted by brownthumbia 5aIA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 9:46

What is the reason that a Boston fern would have leaves that are turning brown, mainly along the bottom fronds? I really want to save this plant because it was given to me when my son died and it's so precious to me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston fern

Heythere, so sorry about your loss.

I think more info is needed. Is it in a hanging pot? Does that pot have a hole at the bottom surface or is it recessed about 1/2 inch above? What kind of light? Inside or out? Has it ever been repotted since you've had it?

o

Oh, I'm so sorry, I did say Boston fern. It's my palm, (parlor?) that I'm having trouble with. I thought perhaps some kind of bug so I sprayed iy with something I got at one time from the garden store but I don't think it is helping. Trouble is I'm never really sure if I'm over or under watering but I just want so bad for it to survive .

o

Oh, I'm so sorry, I did say Boston fern. It's my palm, (parlor?) that I'm having trouble with. I thought perhaps some kind of bug so I sprayed iy with something I got at one time from the garden store but I don't think it is helping. Trouble is I'm never really sure if I'm over or under watering but I just want so bad for it to survive .

o

Can you take and share a pic of it? It may make you feel better to think/know that there's no such thing as a parlor palm that isn't always in the process of discarding the oldest leaf. It's part of how they get taller. You won't find a pic of any tall ones with leaves down to the soil level. The more healthy the roots, the more leaves it will be able to maintain - to a point, and grow new ones at an equal pace.

You might just want to start a new discussion, whether or not you want to include a pic.

o

Purpleinopp, thanks for the reply. I would send a pic but cannot figure out how to do it. I did think I probably should start a new discussion, also. Misleading on my part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here