Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Whatever happened to Ti logs?

Who remembers these? Who has played with them? Why don't they sell them anymore... or do they? Soon my plant should be big enough that I'll want to play with it like this.

(And why am I retaining that Dracaena sanderiana tag? I know what it is, and it's in my spreadsheet...? Maybe just proud it's one of the few with a species name on it. Man that's fugly, going to remove it right now.)

The tall red one is the Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa,) planted with Dracaena surculosa and Tradescantia zebrina. The pot on the table has D. sanderiana (really leaning back,) T. spathacea, and new little cuttings of an Alternanthera that stays really short with red/pink leaves.

Comments (12)

• Mayu
    10 years ago

Beautiful.

I hope my ti plant will also one day grow like this.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning Purple,

I remember Ti logs. The last time I saw logs, in plastic, were at Walgreen's.
    Remember they cost 1.00??

In 2010 I ordered a Plumeria cane from England via Ebay. The seller had Ti canes, too. Both canes were 1.00.

The cane from England was about 10" but never rooted..They used to be so easy to root..Maybe I did something wrong.

Purp, maybe you should save the tag and write the date of purchase...?

I like your pot garden..Colors are striking.

Are you calling the plant with green and white dots sanderiana?

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I remember them very well, I had one a long time ago, a friend brought it back from Hawaii, I googled them and was surprised they only referenced one place to buy them
    http://www.alohafriendsshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=tilogcutting
    Now I'll be on the look out for someone that wants to give me a log
    Purple, you always come up with such great posts :>)
    Christine

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Oh my...lol. Thanks for the memories. I remember Ti logs. Big buckets full along with shells for the tourists to buy in the summer. Stores on the pier in Redondo Beach had them for 50 cents. The ends were covered in some type of wax. I grew a few, but at that time boys not plants were my focus! I think the stores on the pier still have them.
    I've seen them in those little booklets that sell the warming slippers and inexpensive, non-working do-dads for the home. Can I mention Lillian Vernon and Oriental Trading Co? If not...ooops and sorry.
    Karen

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Ti logs??? Can't say as I recall those. Ti sticks perhaps, but not logs. Hmmm, maybe that was spelled differently.

tj

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Are ti logs logs of ti that are used for propagation

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mayu, thanks!

Toni, D. surculosa is the spotted-leaf plant. D. sanderiana is the green/white striped one, leaning way back/out of its' pot on the table. Sorry it's such a mish-mash from the angle of that pic.

Christine, thanks! "Now I'll be on the look out for someone that wants to give me a log" Hope I'm not the only one chucking, adolescently, at that.

Karen, I'd forgotten about the wax until you said that. So retro!

Tsuga, really? (Is my surprised face genuine? 'Cuz I really have no idea what you mean. Really. I swear.)

Teen, yes. As Karen said, they chop up a plants' trunk into little pieces, about 3", seal the ends with wax. When you lay it on soil and water, it usually grows a Ti plant. I wouldn't recommend this as a preferred propagation method, but was widely used in the past as a novelty item. Sounds like one can still find one, but it should be pretty easy to find a nice-sized potted plant, which would be a much faster method of having a sizeable plant.

The one in my pic came from WM for $10-$12 I think. A few of the tops have been shared in trade. In time the growth from those stumps will be tall again.

Found this cool pic at the link Christine mentioned:

{{gwi:93041}}

Wow, this looks profitable! No longer a .50 or $1 novelty.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I gave always wanted a ti plant but I cant find one in the store

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

purpleinopp, is it also called 'red sisters'?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rona, that's a cultivar name of Cordyline fruticosa, one of the Ti plants for sure. I gave up trying to understand them, or decide which cultivar I have, there are so many, and so much conflicting info out there. Some like full sun, some only shade (although some of this may be acclimation issues with plants that have been grown inside.)

All I know is that if this plant (mine pictured above) gets any significant sun on it, it burns. In shade, it gets deeeeep red, sometimes a pink stripe on an occasional leaf.

Teen, sorry this plant eludes you. Hope you see one soon!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Karen. lol.

Purple, another name change. D. surculosa, 'Florida Beauty' Gold Dust Dracaena..

Once known as D. godseffiana, 'Florida Beauty.'

Not to change the topic, much, :) FB is very difficult, so unlike other relatives.

Toni

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

TJ....um ti sticks? As to my advanced years, I remember ti
    sticks being a different plant for let's say a different type
    of enjoyment.
    Karen