Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify the plant ...pls :)

Posted by clusty (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:08

Hey,

I was wondering what plant this was.
Looks like a false aralia, but the growth habit is different ( gnarled trunk ).
Is it just a very old False Aralia ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify the plant ...pls :)

The leave look like Dizzygotheca (False Aralia) to me. Could you perhaps show a pic of the entire plant so we can see the form & growth habit?

o

I can't provide a photo.
I am more and more certain it is a false aralia.
Just I have never seen one that grows this nicely :)

o

I don't know why not, but w/out more pix, it's hard to say for sure.

o

Dizygotheca has been renamed to Schefflera on most sources, though will always be called false Aralia I'm sure. That's what it looks like to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: EA plants of this type

o

Thanks Purp for the confirmation. Nice to see ya, been noticing your absence (busy post-move, am guessing).

Well I hear you abt the name change, but since it looks nothing like Schefflera (to me) I'm stickin' the old name. At least we'll all still know what it is.

o

Hey Karen, thanks! I know, rite!? I'm sick of the plant renaming.

Interesting sidebar about this plant, I think squirrels ate mine's companion. One day it was there, next time I looked, nothing but stumps of the Hemigraphis (waffle plant) that was in the pot with the false Aralias. IDK if it will grow back or not. So, if there are squirrels around and you put plants outside, they seem to leave false Aralias alone, but beware of your waffle plant!

o

it does look like false aralia. but if it's outdoors in ground in canada, it won't survive over winter - and it looks pretty large.
so, which zone is the pic from? and does it overwinter there?
and apparently it's been reclassified again as plerandra elegantissima.

Here is a link that might be useful: wiki with ref as of feb 2013

o

This renaming is completely out of control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here