Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
calathea leaves not unfolding

Posted by mimitd none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 10:08

I have a calathea plant and the leaves are not unfolding. I read that the leaves fold up in a 'prayer-like' fashion at night... mine have done that but have stayed in that position for several days. The plant did get a little dried out, but that has been corrected. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: calathea leaves not unfolding

When the plant 'prays' at night, the leaves are not folding, they stay kind of upright. When leaves curl up that means the plant gets too much light and/or the air is very dry around it. Calatheas don't like much light, even a little of indirect is enough for them to be happy. They show it immediately so it is easy to move them to a different spot where leaves unfold again in an hour or so.
To raise humidity around your plant, you can use a humidifier or stand the pot on a tray filled with pebbles and water. Make sure the plant itself is not standing in water!

If you meant by folding the upright position of leaves don't mind my post. You have to know Calatheas mostly do what they want, not praying every night haha!

o

Yes.. I meant the upright prayer position. They are having a prayer marathon!

o

Mine do that at night, but also when they're too dry, or the air is hot and dry, or else when the sun hits them. They do like their moisture, but not soggyness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here