Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marguerite_gw

Old-fashioned Impatiens - Busy Lizzie

I wonder does anyone in Europe or the UK know of anyone who sells this very old-fashioned and once common plant. It is not the seed-grown one, but the tall, gangly type which was passed from person to person as cuttings. The flowers were usually pink, sometimes white, almost always single. I myself was given one by a new neighbour when I moved into my new home after I married, back in the 1970s. A correspondent in the UK very kindly sent me one a few years back after I advertised in European Plant Exchange here on Garden Web. I lost mine, and subsequently so did he. If anyone knows where one could be found for him, I would be very grateful indeed.

Comments (117)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I posted the ones to the Isle of Wight wrapped in damp tissue and packed into a whisky cylinder. Apparently they arrived in perfect condition but that was within the UK, so a short trip and no risk of freezing in some postal depot in a N American winter. I suspect there may be import restrictions on plants going to the US.

• smokerex
    8 years ago

hello folks ive been looking for one of these plants for years ,,i can remember mum had one that was gifted to her when i was young,,not seen them since and im certainly not young any more lol ,,but really would love one,, buzzys are one of my favourites if anyone has a spare cutting or two id gladly pay for the postage ,,im in lincs

• grimesel1993
    8 years ago

Unfortunately I still haven't had any luck finding this plant in North America!

• smokerex
    8 years ago

that must be very frustrating,,ive tried all the local garden centres here in blighty and many more while we holiday in hopes id find one,,i did manage to find a begonia picta something id been searching for for years also, so i wont give up,,i got that from a big garden centre in cornwall ,,i,ll do some research there again i think,,,if i have any luck i will let you know ,,keep up the search one of us might find what we seek ,,good hunting

• haughtonhoney
    8 years ago

Hi. We brought some cuttings of these back to here in the UK a couple of years ago after being given them by some friends in the Greek islands. I hadn't grown these since I was a kid and haven't seen the original specimens for ages. I will try and take some pics (we have purple and vibrant orange colours). Just have to get them through our winter now!

marguerite_gw Zone 9a thanked haughtonhoney
  • marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those colours are unusual for the old type Busy Lizzie. Do you think they might be seed-grown ones, haughtonhoney? They are definitely universally popular.

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

Free busy lizzy cuttings still available just write a letter with your postal details to Daithi O Gadhrai 24Glenamoy Lawn Mayfield Cork Ireland I'd be happy to send them to you......

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    8 years ago

Sorry If I got on to this thread late, but does any one have this old fashion buzzy lizzy in the united states? I have been looking for some for years, and I have been to many different older garden nurseries looking for some. I would take up on Daithi's offer, but Im sure that sending sending plant material over countries as a major hassle!

Thanks!

Grant

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

I have a new method for posting cuttings long distance I put them cylindrical plastic container which is water tight and wrap the cuttings roots in damp fabric I also pre soak the roots for a couple of days to ensure about ten days of travel time...the furthest I've sent them using this method is Canada ...

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    8 years ago

Did you have to have a special certification to send it overseas?

Grant

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Have you tried the plant trade forums? You might be able to find them in the US there. Also Logees and glasshouse works might have the ones you are looking for. GHW has some that are not New Guinea hybrids.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    8 years ago

I've looked at those and I haven't found something like the old fashioned impatiens. But I did find something close, but it wasn't it. The clone was sterile so it would be reproduced through seeds like the ones I'm looking for are. But thank you for trying to help out!!

• haughtonhoney
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can anyone advise the best compost for the old-fashioned type? I don't think that mine are in the correct type......

• Daithi OGadhrai
    7 years ago

Good news for all fans of the old fashioned busy lizzy tall pink variety I have been working with these plants for many years now and recently I have finally perfected the process of making them go to seed I have successfully grown these seeds into new plants I have a limited amount of seeds from this year's harvest that I would like to send to Canada and America if you come from either country I will send them to you gratis just send your postal details to me here at 24 Glenamoy lawn Mayfield Cork Ireland.. If you would like to enclose a self addressed envelope that would be great but if not just your address...Happy gardening everyone..

• tashaphillips
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Compost be careful I made the mistake of buying it at the local garden centre and got loads of white flies for my troubles Mine all grow nicely in plain old mud. I'm on chalk soil on the South Downs in southern England and they are quite happy with that.

The original plant that resurfaced from the pot in the hallway my parents kept that basically looked like a bunch of dead old roots... got to love these plants when it comes to revival. This plant is more than 36 years old and was a wedding gift from a friend of my mums.

• diamonddiablo
    7 years ago

Hi I have a busy lizzie I grew from seeds. It has grown to over 2foot tall shoots full of leaves but in 8 months no flowers yet. If is very demanding of water. Seeds and soil came as a kit. I have fed with pot plant food baby bio and added more compost/soil. When will I get any flowers.

• Emma Hanlon
    6 years ago

I have been looking for an old fashioned busy lizzy for years. I used to have loads as a child but I left home in a hurry and couldn't take them with me at the time. If anyone has a cutting going spare I would be so greatful, I am really pining for one! I'm more than happy to pay for it and cover all expenses. Please let me know if you can help x

• braydanleigh
    6 years ago

this is one of mine

marguerite_gw Zone 9a thanked braydanleigh
  • Daithi OGadhrai
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hey all busy lizzy fans... I have plenty of seeds for impatiens walleriana also known as the old fashioned busy lizzy I have test grown these seeds and they grow well and flower profusely.. I am now in a position to offer these seeds to anyone who would like them.. So there is no confusion as to the type of busy lizzy I'm offering I will attach a photo.. So if you want some seeds...send your postal details to 24 Glenamoy lawn Mayfield Cork Ireland.. There is no charge for the seeds as I want to help to re-establish this once popular house plant so feel free to contact me you can also contact me via email at daithiogadhrai@yahoo.co.uk or you can find me on Facebook just look for daithi o gadhrai from Cork Ireland..

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daithí, I emailed you a couple of days ago....

• Daithi OGadhrai
    5 years ago

I never got your email.. Try again it's daithiogadhrai@yahoo.co.uk... Don't put an accent over the i in my name maybe that was the reason I didn't get your e mail..or leave a message here I get notifications whenever there is a message here..

Kind regards Daithi

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Daithi, I wrote again, please respond if you get it.

• HU-176449791
    5 years ago

hello, is there still anyone here with old fashion busy lizzie?

i had one for years until it got sick and died. i have been looking ever since.

Anyone here who could sell me few cuttings ???? im in UK

• HU-993034851
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi HU-176449791, my name is Wendy and I bought one from my local green grocer last week. I'm happy to send you a cutting as I too live in the UK in Essex. Please give me your address.

• Amy
    4 years ago

Does anyone have any cuttings for this old fashioned Busy Lizzie you could send me?

My mum's birthday next month and she's been looking for a long time.

Happy to pay whatever you need.

Massive thanks

Amy x

• HU-483768153
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have some, contact me. I live in Essex - only cost of postage. wendeywoo@gmail.com

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi,

could i purchase one please?

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Old fashioned busy lizzy houseplant

Does anyone have some cuttings for sale please?

I will include postage and packing.

Kind regards

Christina

• R G Jones
    3 years ago

Hi Wendy,

Could I have a cutting please?

Shall I send you my address

Chris

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi,

I am after a bussy lizzy cutting.

Happy to pay whatever is needed.

Cheers

Chris

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi Amy,

Could you put me in contact with someone please about the busy lizzy.

Many thanks

Christina

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi Abby Kidd,

I am not sure if you received my message or not.

it was about the busy lizzy houseplant as I would be interested in one.

Many thanks

Chris

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi Abby,

Not sure if you have my message

Chris

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi Emma,

Do you have any cuttings for sale please?

I am prepared to pay for postage and packing

I would be grateful if you could help

many thanks

Chris

• mark suddaby
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

hi does anyone still have any Walleriana Rare Old Fashioned Busy Lizzie Plants/ cuttings please

• HU-71834676
    3 years ago

Hi,

based in Galway Ireland and would love any cuttings or seeds of the old tall variety?

• Debbie North
    2 years ago

Hi there. I have cutting of the old fashioned busy Lizzy plaint if anyone would like one please email me at debbienorth27@hotmail.com

• Derek Stanbridge
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

These 2 are cutting from my mothers one. her one is 43 years old. We have the mother plant and these are mine.

could ask her to give cuttings to whom ever.

I dont know if you all know, you can give the plant tea once a month it does wonders. make the tea with milk half of a suger let it go cold then give it to the plants.

• HU-519427679
    2 years ago

Could I have one please?

• HU-519427679
    2 years ago

Hi,

I will pay for the postage and packing

• Cath Gray
    last year

Lovely heirloom houseplant that grows like a hedge.

• Cath Gray
    last year
    last modified: last year

Currently 23 inches high. It was 3 tiny stems 3 months ago. They do exceptionally well with grow lights. Experimenting with different LED spectrums I found that red and white promote fast growth, thick stems and branching between leaf stems. Purple lighting promotes compact growth and large deep green leaves.

• Cath Gray
    last year
    last modified: last year

This was the mother plant without supplemented lighting. Smaller, pale green leaves, almost no branching between leaf stems (unless pinched) and thin stem growth.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Fabulous, Cath! I've been ready to buy one since the original discussion started 9 yrs ago but haven't seen one yet.

• Cath Gray
    last year

• HU-519427679
    last year

Morning,

How much are the cutting please including postage and packing?

Kind Regards

Chris

• HU-548515879
    10 months ago

White fofflowerlowerfo

• R G Jones
    10 months ago

What is the message

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations