Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

Summer Propagation Spree

teengardener1888
10 years ago

Who else is taking advantage of summers abudance and outdoor space and propagating plants to an exponental rate. I know that this winter I will struggle to care for all of my plants. The gains are staggering. I have made10 new spider plants and 9 aloes, because these are my 2 most baby polific plants I have. Since march I have gaineed also 1 tradescantia, Multible cc cactus cuttings , one orchid cacus, A few perilla which I confused for coleus, Actual coleus, and so many others, And the numbers are growing. Who else is facing this. I know purpleinnop has been on an propagating spree. Come out come out whereever you are !!! heheheheeh

Comments (11)

• sradleye
    10 years ago

i kind of do this compulsively regardless of time of year. I find it very hard to throw away even a leaf unless it is black. the spider plants are a major problem for me. I have kind of a large one with many off shoots. I have to keep it as high as possible and once the babies reach a certain altitude chop them off before the cat gets them. My life for the last month has been - come home to find half eaten spider plant baby on ground, save baby, try to find someone i havent already given ten spider plants to!

• a1pha_fema1e
    10 years ago

Me too! I'm out of room but I really love the prolific ones! It is easier to know they are happy and I'm happy when my plants are happy :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Guilty! Here's some stuff...

Tradescantia red hill with added chocolate mint, cactus cuttings.
    {{gwi:93175}}

Basket started a couple months ago, Callisia fragrans and repens, wax Begonia, Tradescantia zebrina and fluminensis.
    {{gwi:93177}}

Thanksgiving cactus has some new companions, Tradescantia sillamontana, Echeveria leaf/baby, forget the fuzzy one's name.
    {{gwi:93178}}

Pot'o'tiny leaves... Aptenia cordifolia (should have taken the pic before I snipped off pieces, very wilty, hope those take root,) Portulaca pilosa, Gibasis geniculata (Tahitian bridal veil,) Callisia repens.
    {{gwi:93179}}

Philodendron with wax Begonias, Tradescantia zebrina.
    {{gwi:93180}}

Baskets of you-name-it.
    {{gwi:93181}}

Outside...

Confederate rose, Hibiscus mutabilis
    {{gwi:93182}}

Lantana camara
    {{gwi:93183}}

Hydrangea macrophylla.
    {{gwi:93184}}

Another Hydrangea cutting and relocated Oxalis crassipes
    {{gwi:93185}}

This was taken 4/28, mostly Coleus cuttings. I'll show an updated pic soon.
    {{gwi:93186}}

Will take more pics...

10 years ago

I hope you actually wanted pics...! I just took a bunch.

Just took this pic, going really slow with so much missing sunshine.
    {{gwi:93187}}

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana cuttings taking root here.
    {{gwi:93188}}

And here
    {{gwi:93189}}

One of the 3 mama Kalanchoe plants with succulent cuttings
    {{gwi:93190}}

Misc cuttings stuck in a box just before I went on vacation, then 'found' about a week after I got back. The cardboard is melting, but I think good things are happening in here. The 'string' plant cuttings added more recently. The little plants at the bottom left and the one right in the middle were leaves a month ago. Now the leaves are gone and these tiny plants are what's left. So cute and cool!
    {{gwi:93191}}

Too sandy, isn't going well.
    {{gwi:93192}}

Various succulent stuff
    {{gwi:93193}}

More various
    {{gwi:93194}}

Uploading s'more pics...

10 years ago

Kalanchoe daigremontiana and Gardenia cuttings.
    {{gwi:93195}}

Alternanthera and Portulaca sharing Dracaena pot. Tillandia making itself at home in/on the trunk. (All I did was buy that and put it there, it's not attached that I can tell, and I don't claim to have propagated it.)
    {{gwi:93196}}

Thanksgiving cactus cuttings
    {{gwi:93197}}

Pothos (Epipremnum) and Scindapsis cuttings
    {{gwi:93198}}

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' cutting
    {{gwi:93201}}

Pot of sweet potato vine cuttings, preparing to use them to cover the white wall, the side of our dog's house that gets sun on it in the late afternoon. Also added some passion vine but jury's still out on that, way wilted.
    {{gwi:93203}}

Knockout rose trimmings, I was pruning the mama anyway.
    {{gwi:93205}}

Everything here was propagated except the sweet potato vine, Syngonium in hanging pot to left, Dieffenbachia in one of the pots, 2 Coleus planted with roots.
    {{gwi:93207}}

The giant wash tub thing is full of various cuttings
    {{gwi:93209}}

Other side of the tree
    {{gwi:93210}}

Thanksgiving cactus had roots, everything else added as a cutting.
    {{gwi:93211}}

Recently beheaded Dracaena making 3 replacement tops, Christmas cactus cuttings.
    {{gwi:93212}}

Four diff dracs look kinda cool together. (I should have put the beheaded top in here, to make it 5.)
    {{gwi:93213}}

This shows the whole cycle including decomposition of plant material, making its' final contribution. Left it in mostly a lump to decompose faster, spread enough to smother grass over cardboard in the rest of the 'bed.' There's a tiny red-leaf maple tree in the middle, too small to see, and various other props, surrounded by pots of mostly props. It's ugly now but will be 'wow!' next summer.
    {{gwi:52570}}

Tired of looking at this stump... Bought the Osmanthus fragrans shrub, added propagated Hydrangea and Confederate rose (Hibiscus mutabilis.) Added some monkey grass (Liriope) I found at the edge of the yard this weekend.
    {{gwi:52568}}

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Wow so far Ive only done new guinea impatiens, sweet potato vine and gardenia oh and Marigolds. :D Purple if the offer is still up I would love to trade some bougainvillea cuttings for postage, just let me know what I have to do :D

Oh im going to post pictures soon. Im going to propagate my bloodleaf iresine and tai alternathera

Lovely everyone :)

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

I laughed when you said "Recently beheaded dracaena"

10 years ago

LOL! Off with its' head! I forgot to say, that Drac had a weird rotten spot on the trunk that seemed to be slowly spreading over the past couple years. I discarded that, between the stump and the top.

Delrey, sent you a note. Look forward to your pics!

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple you are more busy propagating than I can imagine, what happens when winter comes, Can we talk in the fall about future cuttings, im willing to pay shipping

10 years ago

TG, absolutely, I want to share everything that can't fit inside! When the time comes and I know what I have, will publicize. My mind blows when I think about that, but I know y'all will talk me through it. Don't know what to do with myself with all of the time I usually spend with the watering can. That time has been spent snapping stems and sticking them here'n'there...

10 years ago

Here's something that's a fail, pill bugs eating a Begonia cutting.
    {{gwi:93214}}

Sprouted avocado pit.
    {{gwi:93215}}

Who else is propagating stuff?