Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to root cutting from Ming Aralia

Posted by hbgg1989 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 10:45

Does anyone have information on rooting a cutting from a Ming Aralia? I have a lovely plant that is tall and I would like to root some cuttings from it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to root cutting from Ming Aralia

I've found that woody cuttings work best

1. Take a section with leaves and a woody stem. With leaved stems, I've found that simply rooting in water works best. Takes ~20 days

2. Take 2" sections of a woody stem, dip in rooting hormone, and plant these small sections into bonsai pot. These are really cool. I have three mini ming bonsai forests I started a couple days ago I can take a photo of so you can see.

However you do it the key to rooting mings is HEAT. People often say these are hard to root. I have almost 100% rooting just because I root my mings in a south window where it's nice and warm. Also as stated if your cutting has leaves, at least for me, it automatically goes in water. Leafless stems are rooted in soil. And keep it nice and moist. Good luck!

o

Thank you, I have a couple of cuttings in water now but they haven't shown roots yet. I will give them the 20 days you recommend and hope for the best. I sure hope this is successful; I would be able to get some beautiful plants from the "mother" plant. It is the first one I have had sucess in growing (and I've tried a few).

o

I just lost mine unfortunately, but the one was given years ago, was started in water by an attorney who accidentally broke off a branch. Rather than lose it, he tossed it into a vase of water & left it there for months.

It rooted heavily & after a time he gave it to me.

Just be careful transitioning it from water to mix, can be a bit tricky to resettle it after the change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here