Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

.................Still waiting

teengardener1888
10 years ago

Still waiting for the fruit on my christmas cactus to mature. I heard it can take a year but wishing it would not. I crossed a CC with a TC. What would I get from this cross, a CC or a TC. The flowers are the same colors

Comments (8)

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

An easier to grow version of CC or TC

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will it still have beautiful flowers?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Teen...CC grow fruit? What do they look like and are they edible?

You cross/bred a CC and TC? Congrats. How was it done?
    How did you recognize male from females?

Toni

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are small plump and kinda slender, I dont believe them to be edible. The fruit are green but they turn ripe when they are pink and soft. For pollination I ripped a TC cactus flower and simply rubbed its stigmas on the anthers of the CC. I did this a dozen times on a dozen flowers and got only 2 fruit, so crossing them was not easy. I hope the seeds are not sterile and will still grow

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Self crossing steps Rubbing the male reproductive anther seen on top part on the stamen to the stigma on top part of the carpel (or pistil)

The same as how a bee would pollinate a flower Only difference is a single bee is much faster and more efficient on a single plant of flowers but not as effective at crossing.

Teen: Your efforts may result in an near exact same plant that host the pods even if you get seed from the pod.

However for possible future different results of flowering color shape OR different shaped foliage with also possible different colored flowers consider removing all the male parts from the host plant flower you want to host the pod and all the female parts that will pollinate the pod host.

These not as easy to do as just rubbing two flowers with all there male and female parts on flower step allow a strong all male flower to mate with a very willing all female part or flower.
    As anything in nature the strongest and most willing to adapt survive. Plants by human cross pollination aren't as pretty while they bloom but if willing it's the results of a different plant in one form or several that you want.

A lot of practice for you Even if to get different results the new plant may not adapt to it's newness

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just did it casually, I was not expecting anything special to happen, just simply wondering if I get any fruit...

Hope seeds sprout ;-)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Teen, I'm happy for you.

When I read your thread this morning, it reminded me of an article in a 1885 edition Orthos African Violet book.

The article instructs how to create an AV hybrid. I don't know how long it takes for CCxTC to bloom, but AV's take 2-3-years.

Same concept as you've accomplished.

Each flower has both male and female organs so all you need, 2 AV flowers and a lot of patience. lol

Well, a little work, too.

I honestly hope your AV's seed. Are you keeping a journal?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually I did get a seed pod one one of my AVs as a result of a cross but I killed it

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH