Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID of Inherited plant. Palm Like

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 11:24

We inherited 2 sadly neglected plants from a family estate, and I am clueless as to what they are, or what to do with them. I also posted in tropicals. I don't want them to die!

I call this one Marions Lush. Can't figure out how to post 2 pictures, so can you ID this one?
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID of Inherited plant. Palm Like

Looks like Dracaena marginata. Not too much sun mid-day, allow to dry between watering, then thoroughly drench. Has it been outside before you got it, if you know? It doesn't look like it. Keep an eye on it for sunburn even though it likes lots of sun, if it's been inside it may need to be eased into more light.

o

Wow! So they are the SAME tree? The individual leaves look very much the same.

The lush one was on the front porch in complete shade. The spindly one was on the back porch, and may have gotten some afternoon sun.

Thanks for the care tips. At this house, we just soaked the spindly one, will repot, and put in partial shade outside. We'll do the same with the lush one.

Thanks so much
Suzi

o

You're welcome but Hmmmm. This may be something else then or maybe not watered as often. Plan sounds good in general though. Be sure to remove any strangling roots (circling the pot bottom) and, like pruning a tree top, any that are crossing, just too big, or not healthy looking. There are a lot of pics of tree repots in this forum if you are not very familiar with it. You don't sound hesitant though, so probably you have done similar before.

o

Well, thanks for your confidence :-) I have re-potted a few figs, and dozens of wine grapevines, but you can't kill those ever! They are WEEDS!

House plants are a little more delicate I'm thinking, but when the pruning we did caused all kinds of fresh leaf bunches to appear, I'm thinking "maybe they are a little tougher than I thought!"

I'm a certifiable nut case! My house is full of silk trees and plants because I fear death (killed dozens of house plants over time)!! Actually, I have a huge silk Dracaena Marginata in my entry! I knew it was the same tree, but did not know the name. I just liked the decorator look of the tree!

These living trees will be happy outside in the partial sun and shade of the patio, or maybe even under the spotty shade of a queen palm tree! I will soak when they appear dry, and let them dry out again! And Repeat!

Thanks so much!
Suzi

o

Suzi, ditch the artificials and adopt new, live plants. :)

There are many many people here who love to help.

Your Dracaena Marginata is doing well. With proper light, a little fertilizer and well-draining soil, it will look MUCH better than plastic. lol. Plus, true plants are great for the soul. Seriously. Toni

o

Yes, you can do it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here