o
RE: sharing a couple summer blooms

Training the cacti UP!

That's wild!!

Beautiful pics Juju.

Thanks for sharing! :)

o

Those are Easter Cacti not Christmas Cacti.

o

L ove the cactus did you train them or stake them that way :)

o

Juju. Wow!

What's the plant in pic 3?

Are pics 4 and 5, Morning Glory? Whatever, the flowers are amazing. Blue flowers are very rare and oh, so pretty.

You're Begonia is loaded w/blooms.

Are Easter Cacti in individual pots, attached to trellis?

Not only do I love your plants, but I like the trellises, too. They look very sturdy, strong enough to hold the heaviest vines. Toni

o

Pics 4 and 5 are quite spectacular. Love the eye-catching blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

o

Great pics of great flowers. The blue really pop. The easter cactus are amazing!
K

o

jujujojo, I love your balloon flowers (no.3) and the plant no.4-5. Do you collect their seeds? The Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri or Easter cactus are gorgeous. I've been looking for different colors but pink. I apologize, I know this is not a place for exchange but I posted on 'House Plant Exchange' forum a few days ago to find Easter cactus cuttings other than pink. Please Juju look at my trade list if maybe we can do a trade. Thank you.

Natalia

o

no. 3 is balloon flower. I think they are related to Eustoma or lisianthus.

no. 4 and 5 are Cineraria

Yes, those are Easter cacti, not a Christmas cacti. I meant to say they are Easter cacti but typed Christmas:)

o

Juju, Cineraria. Wow...our local store sells potted Cineraria, but I've never seen one as lovely as yours.

Here, they're over-priced...sold as short-lived gift plants..pot wrapped in colored, aluminum foil!

One more question. :)
What are plants in photos 6 & 7? I've seen those flowers, or similiar, somewhere, but can't recall where or what they are. lol.

o

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:48

Toni, it is a light blue(purple?) cultivar of the monotypic (unispecific?) species Callistephus.

The cineraria cultuvar has a feeling of being electric blue. They are truly that color as if under blacklight. They also have purple, pink etc which are much softer.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 14:01

o

For the Easter Cacti, someone also achieved the same effect, immediately without years of cultivation, by grafting layers of branches onto a single columnar cactus.

o

juju,
I've never seen a begonia with this amount of blooms. how did you do it? how much do you feed it and with what?
it's quite unbelievable...mine produce just a few blooms at a time.

o

Was just realizing I'm still curious about these Easter cacti. Can't tell about the plant on the left, but the one on the right - it looks like there 4-5 stems there, in the base of the pot. Is that correct? How long have you had those?

o

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 16:08

Here is the solution of the puzzle: they are grafted onto large Pereskia.

o

So THAT'S the trick!!

It looked too good to be real,yaknow?

Makes a guy wanna try grafting! :)

o

Posted by asleep_in_the_garden Rochopolis Minnesota (My Page) on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 18:33

Neither Easter cacti, Thanksgiving cacti nor Christmas cacti grow tall naturally. But grafting for these cacti is quite easy.

o

One of these days I can actually see myself trying that!
Thanks for the heads up! :)

Here's a late summer bloom that I didn't even expect to see at all this year...

o

Close up...

o

Wonderful! what a nice treat after this cool weather

o

Posted by asleep_in_the_garden Rochopolis Minnesota (My Page) on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 19:06

Nymphoides?

o

Always thought so til seeing the bloom ...which looks more like a squash blossom or something.

I may have this all wrong...open to suggestions? ;)

o

Posted by asleep_in_the_garden Rochopolis Minnesota (My Page) on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 19:28

Nymphoides Montana

o

Hi again!

Nymphoides Montana is correct without a doubt!

First time you mentioned nymphoides,..in haste,I assumed you had typed nymphaea...which would be the TRUE waterlily that I mistakenly thought I had all along until I saw the bloom. When I put the pic up I really didn't expect help with an id(just thought it was pretty lol),but wow Juju,thanks a bunch!!

Always so much to learn when you hang out with the people who know the stuff! :)

Edited for one more pic.
Edited a second time to say hi to Danny.

Hi Danny!
Thanks!
Yellow DOES brighten things up,doesn't it? :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 9:09

o

Posted by asleep_in_the_garden Rochopolis Minnesota (My Page) on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 8:11

Nymphoides species are used as vegetable in China. The used part is the unopened tender new leaf. You might try it - used in beef or chichen soup.

o

EAT my nymph?
RIGHT after finding out it's true identity?

Perish the thought!

:)

Edited for goofiness...

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 10:14

o

Posted by asleep_in_the_garden Rochopolis Minnesota (My Page) on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 9:50

They are delicious :)

o

What is eat mor nymph?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here