Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disocactus. what am I doing wrong?

Posted by rosebuddy z4Ont (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 11:37

I love disocactus ramulosus and after my first shrivelled up and died I thought I would try it again. Did pretty good for the first 6 months, and again leaves started to dry up. I watered every second week, thinking to dry it out between waterings, but wondering if I should have soaked it instead of just watering as I do my other plants. Does this plant like to have a good soaking? Should I water every week? I've put it outside as a last chance and it's had some good rainfalls along with hot dry days and seems to be getting better. Will have to bring it in for the winter, and hoping someone out there has tricks to keep it going for the winter months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disocactus. what am I doing wrong?

Didn't that species even existed. Anyways, it may be the humidity or you're not watering enough.

o

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I am thinking wrong in that it likes it dry, both soil and air. It does seem to be liking the hot humid days outside we have had this week. I actually just brought home another, called ric rac to fill in the spot where my ramulosus was and crossing my fingers that both will thrive come the cold days when they come and I have to bring it in.

o

They also don't like standing in water.

o

Likes to be kept moist but not wet, and never let it dry out. Hope this helps a little.

o

Thanks again. I do think I let it dry out too much between waterings. Hopefully it will come back. It's even getting its red colour back being outside. Just have to keep it happy indoors which is always the tricky part.

o

rb,

It's a tropical plant, so treat it that way most of the time - a porous soil and frequent waterings / rain when it's warm (particularly in the spring / summer main growth periods) and dappled sun and it should grow well for you. It is not cold-hardy, as you might well already know.

o

Thanks and please one more question? I'm going to try to root some leaf cuttings from it. By porous soil do you mean regular potting soil or cactus soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here