Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help!

Posted by melsmile 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 11:43

This is my question for the experts out there. I'm wanting to open my own plant store. Where do I find the a place to get the plants and other supplies I need? I've tried looking it up online but I get no where. Please help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help!

I think you need to spend some time researching online.

While I'm no expert & have never had a plant shop, it seems to me if you can't find the basics online, in particular where to buy your plants, you'll need to do a bunch more research before you're ready to go on this.

It's a lovely idea, but it can be a great deal of work, especially for one person. Have you ever spoken to someone who owns/runs a plant shop? Perhaps that'd be the best place to start?

o

There are TONS of vendors of wholesale foliage plants to be found on-line. Same for the containers and other accoutrements.

I see that you are in zone 9. Any chance that you might live in a location near some wholesale growers? Then you could visit their operations to check on quality, etc.

I remember receiving delivery of a truck-load of foliage plants that I had purchased sight unseen from a grower in Florida (I lived in SC at the time). When the driver opened the back of the truck, a flurry of whiteflies greeted us at the door. Really nice. It was early on in my horticulture career back then and too young to have the courage to send the whole truck back. ( I didn't learn how to do that for a couple of years, lol.)

Are you totally committed to opening your own store? Because another option might be to talk to one of the best locally owned garden centers (no big box stores) in your area into letting you have a little corner of their operation to sell foliage plants. Perhaps you could work on commission or something. Anyway, you could set the whole she-bang up with their money....but your selections. A garden center would already have contacts for all kinds of supplies, including plants.

Based on your level of expertise and knowledge, you could even offer classes now and again.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts.

o

Rhizo 1 thanks for the ideas. I will look into the store idea. I am totally committed. The only thing is I have to wait. I need to learn patience. My husband says we need to do things in the right order. You see we are still renting. We want our own home. It doesn't make sense to get a business loan when we need a home loan first. Then he says I am totally welcome to do what ever I want to do. I'll let you know what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here