Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtmaster303

Houseplant Distress

gtmaster303
9 years ago

Hi all,
I needed some help nursing a plant back to full health in honor of my late grandmother. It's a plant she took care of very much up until her passing last year. It's been neglected, but I want to make sure I do everything I can so it lives on.
Not sure if it is a houseplant, but that's where its been since we got it. I'll attach some pictures.
In the plant's prime, it had beautiful green leaves with red accents (similar to the picture attached)
I know the pot must be getting very small, so I will need to transfer it to a bigger pot. No matter how much I water it, the plant is steadily declining. Would it be wise to plant it outside? (don't know if it will survive the harsh winters)
Thanks for your help

Comments (8)

• gtmaster303
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second picture

• gtmaster303
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What it resembled on the past when it was healthy. The texture was different, but the color scheme and pattern are similar. Green leaves with a pink/red accent going down the middle

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

The plant looks to be a peace lily on its last leg. Sorry to say though, it will never look like the plant in the 3rd picture, as that is a totally different plant. The only thing I can say is maybe you can salvage a little healthy chunk out of the plant somewhere and pot it in a small pot, but as a whole, it's not looking so good. It's hard to say whether it was left to severely dry out, or if it's been overwatered, or both. By saying "no matter how much I water it" tells me it got overwatered. I'd bet it's been in the same soil for a long time, which means, as typical with bagged soil, it decomposed turned into a death trap for plant roots. Like I said, unpot the whole thing and scope out the root ball. Try to find a section that looks somewhat healthy, cut it out of the plant mass, and pot it into a new, smaller pot, only a couple inches bigger in diameter then the chunk of roots.

Joe

• gtmaster303
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any reason for not recommending a big pot?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Sorry about your loss. It does look like peace lily, but that doesn't have red in the middle of the leaves, that I've seen. Adding a pic of the back of a leaf, and a pic showing how the plant emerges from the soil might help someone recognize it.

But aside from exactly what plant it might be, it's probably getting sunburned outside. It probably would appreciate new soil, totally agree. Most importantly it needs a correct amount of light. If there is any direct sun outside, past the first or last hour of the day, the leaves are likely to burn. That looks like a fine size pot for this plant, but I can't tell from the pics if there is a drain hole in the bottom. If not, a toxic level of tap water chemicals could have built up in the soil. Keeping the dead leaves removed helps any plant look its' best.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

I agree with Joe & Tiffany. You might gain some insight from a perusal of the info at the link I'll leave. By the look of the plant, you'll need to act fast to save a piece of it.

Hard to say what all might be wrong with it, but it looks badly over-watered, doesn't like its location - for sure, and if you've fertilized in the hope of bringing it around, that could be part of the trouble as well.

FWIW - keeping plants in good health does require some commitment, to the physical care of the plant, certainly, but to learning how to provide cultural conditions that don't beg the plant to live at the extremes of what it's programmed to tolerate, too. I hope you read the link and find it helpful. I'm really sorry about your grandmother. Reading your post made me think of my maternal GM. .... don't know how the Lord packed so much love into one human being.

Take care.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: An Overview ............

• GreenThumb19
    9 years ago

It needs to be moved out if direct sun. Place it near a window. But take it out of its pot , get a slight larger one. Like 1-2" bigger and add new soil. If the plant is dry when you repot it, water it. If the plant is moist or wet, do not water it just yet.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I would encourage a real repot, not just potting up. GreenThumb, there's a lot of info about this in the link Al posted. When I repot plants, they usually go back in the same pot, unless it's no longer big enough to keep the plant upright when the wind blows. Even if my plants grow, my house doesn't.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio