Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Night Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum Nocturnum) Questions

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone out there who grows Night Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) as a houseplant? Is it fairly easy to grow? I would love to smell the fragrance that everyone keeps talking about!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Yes, and besides these questions, are they worth the fragrance to grow these only to be attacked by spidermites?

I am willing to battle these critters, if the fragrance is to die for..

Mike:-)

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Uh oh, is this one prone to mites too? I hadn't heard that. I was thinking of getting one, to see if I like the way it smells. I've heard mixed things about it. But the consensus seemed to be that the fragrance, whether or not you liked it, is a strong one!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

This plant's fragrance will give headache to sensitive individuals... I just love its smell which is so strong that you can feel the aroma from meters away.

Nearly every house in our region has this shrub. They perform best in ground with regular pruning. Growing them in pots is also a good option, but they should get plenty of light.

I have a 7 feet shrub which I grew from a 4 inch cutting, it never gets spidermites as i rinse it regularly while watering. During extreme summers they get occasional mealybugs for which I use Garlic water as a useful treatment.

Izhar

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

It looks like I won't be getting one as I just got more hoyas! I was only expecting two kinds and I got not three or four but *drumroll* seven different kinds!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I grow it as a seasonal plant and don't bother wintering them over in the greenhouse. I like the scent of cestrum nocturnum and diurnum but the flowers aren't much to look at. I've never had a problem with pests outside but can see this as a bug magnet indoors or in the greenhouse.

Izhar what is garlic water? I occasionally get mealy bugs in the greenhouse and don't use chemical controls.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,

I read this stuff from a local newspaper, here is the recipe (I quote as it was):

"Take a quarter kilo of whole, unpeeled garlic and separate one liter of water, bring to the boil, simmer for about 15 minutes, remove from the stove and leave to stand for approximately 12 hours.
    Then strain it through fine muslin cloth and spray on pests. The same garlic can be re-boiled two or three times before losing its potency. Proportionally increase the amount of garlic and water for larger batches.
    This spray is completely safe for both indoor and outdoor use and should be applied 2-3 times a week until the problem is resolved. This spray washes off in wet weather so donÂt use it during periods of extreme humidity."

It worked best for me when applied in morning and just before evening i.e. twice daily.

Happy Gardening.

Izhar

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Thanks. I'll give it a try. The greenhouse will smell like an Italian restaurant. lol

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

That's a LOT of garlic, a 1/2 lb. in fact, yikes!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

I thought only VAMPIRES had reservations on Garlic....lol

• atenciomike_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

For the metrically challenged folks here's the equivalent:
    1 liter = 33.8140227
    1 kilogram = 35.2739619 ounces

Take about 9 oz of whole, unpeeled garlic and separate, one quart 3 oz of water, bring to the boil, simmer for about 15 minutes, remove from the stove and leave to stand for approximately 12 hours.
    Then strain it through fine muslin cloth and spray on pests. The same garlic can be re-boiled two or three times before losing its potency. Proportionally increase the amount of garlic and water for larger batches.
    This spray is completely safe for both indoor and outdoor use and should be applied 2-3 times a week until the problem is resolved. This spray washes off in wet weather so don�t use it during periods of extreme humidity."

It worked best for me when applied in morning and just before evening i.e. twice daily.

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

I have a few cuttings I'm trying to root. I'm somehow surprised it would want to bloom in the winter, wouldn't it want to wait till summer (and kind of be semi-dormant) in winter? I've read they can take cool or warm bright conditions.

Another question, if thoroughly and repeatedly sterilized (as much as we think we can) prior to bringing in (or starting cuttings inside in sterile mix), do they still somehow bring "bugs"? What would help keep mites at bay, high humidity?

Amy

• Curtis Montero
    8 years ago

Hello i recent bought two cestrum nocturnums im concerned because the tips keep turning yellow the soil is good i water them but not too much could it be i give them too much sun? I had to put one of them in plastic. They are both growing one more agressively than the other the agressive one is the one with the yellow tips please advise.