Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talking plants outside for summer, what to expect?

Posted by flower.baby none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 12:24

Hello!

I normally keep all of my houseplants indoors year round, but this ear we are staying at my moms house in California for the summer until we can move into or new place.
So I brought all of my houseplants from Oregon to California with me.
She has a shaded patio with a water "mister" around the entire patio, so ya nice and humid.

I have a few plants that I am hoping to get a lot of new growth on this year.
Can I expect a lot of nice new growth in their new warm sunny humid environment?!
I have 3 types of Hoya (grandmas carnosa, hindu rope, & kerrii) and I also have a few orchid cactus that I'm hoping will bloom. One with red flowers anyone night blooming cereus. And a curly spider and Easter cactus.
I also just ordered yesterday "dinnerplate Hoya" Hoya obovata, verrigated obovata, and polka dot begonia. So excited to get them!!

Anyway, do you think I can expect lots of growth in this new environment? How do your plants do outside in summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talking plants outside for summer, what to expect?

Hello Flower Baby,

Since your plants were placed in a shady area, the good news is leaves shouldn't sunburn.

Oh yes, plants will love the mister.
What type of mister is it, and does water spray 24/7?
Does water reach soil and/or leaves?

Although it's nearing the end of July, you should see new growth, and/or flowers.

Flowerbaby, I'm in IL, so I'm speaking of IL climate. I'm sure CA's temps/climate differs, moreso if your new home is in southern Ca..

Hopefully, people from CA will chime in.

Another reason your plants will be happy...they're used to being indoors..fresh, circulating air and humidity is a blessing. You'll notice a difference.

When you move in your new home, will your plants be kept indoors again?

Congrats on your new home. Toni

o

I take all plants outside for summer. Of the ones you mentioned, I have Easter cactus. Just put pics (& info) of it here recently. Not sure how my experience in AL compares to where you are, but it's there to see if you want.

Are you putting everybody out, or just the ones you mentioned in this discussion (saw in profile you mention others?)

o

I have a couple Hoyas in bright shade, and the growth is fantastic. Water, fertilizer, light...they'll do great.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here