Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Anthurium flowers progress

This is the plant from this discussion which I don't see much reason to continue due to the title. Anyway, these flower things are getting pretty fat! Anyone else with an Anthurium sending out flower stalks, feel free to share pics. Do they usually do this in the summer, or just whenever?

{{gwi:93613}}

Comments (29)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, very very pretty..Flowers are really coming along.

I think blooming depends on Anthurium types. For instance, some bloom in mid-winter, while others flower in spring/summer.
    Some bloom 7-months out of the year.

I once had A. Crystal that bloomed 6-7 months, budding began early winter. It lived in a clay pot for years.
    One day my pooch, Sam, knocked down the pot w/his heavy tail..shards and soil everywhere.
    I repotted, but it never did well..then it died.. A sad 'tail/tale.'

I haven't seen your other thread recently, therefore don't know if anyone ID'd your A's species. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow 6-7 months would be awesome. It looks like these flowers will be a raspberry color instead of plain red, or can we tell yet from the outside?

{{gwi:93614}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Still doing well, and a new leaf has opened.

{{gwi:93615}}

{{gwi:93616}}

• penfold2
    11 years ago

Here's an inflorescence I had on my A. vittariifolium.

{{gwi:93617}}

{{gwi:93618}}

In the close-up you can see pollen being produced by the flowers at the base of the inflorescence. They do this sequentially, starting at the base and progressing towards the tip. Also, the female flower parts are active before the male parts which prevents self pollination. I tried saving some pollen in the refrigerator to use on later inflorescences, but had no luck.

-Chris

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Keep the pictures coming, purple! It's fun to watch the progress.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I agree.

Original Author
    11 years ago

From earlier today.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Other angle from earlier today:

• xmikelx
    11 years ago

that is a very nice red! i want an anthurium now! :)

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

Beautiful, I love to see the colors!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

A. Plowmanii, 3 years old, grown from seed, Semi-hydroponic. Crappy cell phone pic taken a few days ago.

{{gwi:93619}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dan, do you blow glass? That little fish is so cute!!! Is there any "dirt" in that pot? I don't know enough about hydro to know what semi-hydro means. How can you resist pulling off the dead stuff?

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Yes, I blow glass, lampwork glass and occasionally fuse glass. You can Google search Danny Ellis Glass and you might come across my way (3 or 4 years) out of date website.

Anthurium plowmanii is a plant that can grow over 6 feet tall, I started it from seed and was very surprised that it flowered this small. There is no soil for that plant. It is potted only in long fibered sphagnum moss although most of the pot is now roots. I keep it sitting in an inch of water all the time. What you can't see is that I've cut holes all the way up the sides so air can pass through.

Semi-Hydroponics and passive hydroponics are the same thing. Unlike what is usually considered Hydroponics with S/H there is no water circulation, you just drain or replace the water once a month or so. There is no soil used. you just use something, LECA, rocks, sphagnum, etc. to support the roots and use a nutrient solution rather than just water and/or fertilizer Usually the roots are not completely covered with water although if the container is shallow and wide enough to aerate the water or if you can add an air line connected to an aquarium air pump, they can be kept that way. If you look at some European plant sites sometimes you'll see full size plant growing in glass vases or pottery, often those are semi-hydro.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the hydro explanation. That's fascinating stuff!
    I hope you don't mind if I include a link to your website.
    The vases are so pretty, and the jellyfish paperweights are
    really cool!
    I'm in love with the pendants also. So glad I took a look around!

I'm sure the plant I keep showing pics of is completely common and
    yours is probably one of those that is rare, temperamental.
    Thanks for giving us a little more info so the less knowledgeable can appreciate it!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Thanks!

A. Plowmanii are hard to find but they're not hard to grow. except for watering it I pretty much ignore it. I swiped the seeds off of a plant at the conservatory. 3 of the 6 seeds grew and I gave away the others.

One question I forgot to answer. . . I rarely pull off dead or browning leaves, They don't bother me.

11 years ago

Dellis, please don't steal seeds from a conservatory.....or anywhere else. You never know if the owner of the plant has plans for seed, flowers, or other plant parts. Especially from a rare plant.

Remember, if we feel like it's okay to grab a bit from a plant we admire, you can be sure that others are doing the same thing. Finding pieces on the floor is one thing, but physically removing something.....not so nice.

Besides that, I have never been turned down when I asked permission to collect something and usually walk away with more than I had hoped for. Made some good friends along the way. I've been given permission to collect from botanical gardens, old cemetaries, aboretums, and lots of private gardens.

I've had passersby stop and ask me what some plant is and I am always very happy to give them whatever I can. When I had my own nursery, I was happy to provide a clipping here and there but would get really ticked off if I discovered or saw stealing.

Just ask.

Original Author
    11 years ago

From today

Original Author
    11 years ago

Also today.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Rhizo, if you go to this conservatory at the right time of year, February thru to about May, you'll find seeds from this plant and others in the aroid room all over the floor and ground. They just sweep or rake them up and throw them away. I've picked up seeds in front of staff and no-one has ever said anything to me about it. They just don't want you touching the plants or going off the walkway on the soil. Nothing was stolen, I guess the way I worded that it is a natural assumption to make.

Purp, Looking very nice, your plant is making good progress.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, your Anthurium flower is fantastic. Expect several months of beauty. Toni

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hiya Purple,

Thanks much for the show, yes it's interesting to see it progressing long. That cardinal red is so stupendously vibrant, really amazing.

11 years ago

Purple, what a beauty! They are amazing little plants, aren't they? Thanks for giving us a photo diary along the way.

Dellis, thanks for the clarification. This topic comes up occasionally in many of the forums; you'd be shocked about what people think is OK...as long as they don't get caught. Since I've spent so many years on the other side as a retail manager and nursery owner, my hair stands on end sometimes. I hope that I didn't come across as a scold.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Wow, I love the flower color, I've never seen one so rich looking. Too bad I've never had any luck with Anthuriums.

Planto

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful compliments, on behalf of this lovely plant.

Me either, Planto. Try again... now that you're smarter!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

purple,
    I'm going to add you to my list of enablers; Hubby will be wondering where I got the idea to purchase an Anthurium. ;)

Planto

Original Author
    11 years ago

Trimmed off the last of the first batch of flowers a few days ago. Now a new crop of leaves and another flower are forming. Wish I had known how much sun these like when I bought a few at Glasshouse Works. Very happy with this one, though.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, still flowering...Looks good..

Now, when people ask which plants have long-lasting flowers, we can add Anthurium to the list.

You said Anthuriums like high light? How much do you mean? Direct? Bright-indirect?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

That Anthurium is gorgeoys, Id so love to be able to grow one!
    And you can see how the red part is actually a modified leaf, very cool plants Arums!