Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shondartb

What kind of plant is this?

Shondartb
9 years ago

Can anyone please tell me what this plant is? It was in a plant basket with 4 other plants given to me about a year ago. I want to make sure I'm caring for it correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (22)

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Looks like banana croton

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

As a form of Euphorbia (Codaeum), pls. be careful handling this plant (common name Croton). The white sap which it bleeds CAN be a skin irritant. Just pls. be sure to wash well after handling.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Agreed, Codiaeum. They're usually a little more colorful. Not guaranteed, but if you have a brighter window, it might show more variegation.

How are the other 3 plants doing?

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Heat and a lot of sun will bring out the colours. They don't like to be over watered.

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies.ðÂÂÂthe plant sits a t window with south west sun. Can these plants be outside?

The other plants are doing well. It came with a peace lily which is triving very well, a type of corn plant I think, a philodendron and I think an arrow head plant. They are all doing well. Trying to figure out these two.

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think this is a arrow head? I don't think it looks to good. I keep it moist but not soaked. It also gets lots of south west sun. What do you think?

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

That last plant looks like maybe like a Syngonium (Arrowhead Plant). It doesn't want direct sun, I think it's getting burned. I'd moved it to shade pls ASAP before it's too late.

9 years ago

Agreed. The one above looks like some kind of Dracaena, which shouldn't need much direct sun either, if any. For plants that like to be baking in the sun like that, you might consider some cacti, or something like Gardenia or Plumeria, Jasmine, bananas.

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well the plants are in door plants I just took them out for the picture. They are at a window with south west sun. With a curtain. Is that to much? Again I only took them out side for about 5 minute so I could get good lighting to show the plant better.

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I did not specify that these were indoor plants in the previous post. After I read back i noticed I left that out :/

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

the plant in the last pic looks like some kind of philo. i can see the stems, but not clearly. can we get a close-up?
    the leaves are too large for syngonium.

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer pic.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

sorry, can't see the stems. also need to see the tip of the growth.
    the leaves look like alocasia, but on prev pic i see stems that are very similar to philodendron.
    here's an enlarged part of your prev pic. alocasia has different kind of stems. these look more like philo to me.

9 years ago

Are there cataphylls (leaf sheaths?) Philodendrons have these, Syngonium does not.

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea it does have leaf sheaths so philodendron? I love the rose color of the stim and the new leaves.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

problem is not many philos have this type of arrow-shaped leaves with sharp points.
    ph. mexicanum is one - but it has a much longer leaf.
    how large are the leaves?
    and can we see a pic of young leaf? and also the leaf sheath clearly with the stem and attached leaf?

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope thus shows the stems better

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic if a young leaf

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is an older leaf.

9 years ago

I don't see any cataphylls, still think it's Syngonium.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i see smth dried up that looks like a sheath - but i can't be sure. pics are not close enough. here's closer, but fuzzy.
    one thing for sure - they don't usually plant philos in such tight bundles of starts. they do that with syngoniums. the stems look like syngonuim too.
    this s. 'merry marie' looks very similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: s. merry marie

• Shondartb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info. The plant pictured on the link looks like an older version of my plant. This plant was in the planter basket that was quite small with the other four plants. It was small then and seems to be doing well it just looks sparse