Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Jade plant looks the same for 2 years.

angiepangie
10 years ago

I got a Jade plant two years ago.

It is smallish- two branches coming from the base, and at the top of each branch a handful of leaves.

In the 2 years I have owned it, it has not grown one iota. It is as if it is stuck in time. I let it live outdoors once summer- nothing.

I repotted it- nothing.

It likes to pretend it is going to finally give up and die but loosing most of it's leaves, then it regrows the leaves and stays the same for another few months.

The only thing it does is drop and regrow leaves. Never more leaves than before, never a new branch, never taller, nada.

It's had full sun, low sun, fertilizer, etc.

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

What kind of potting mix are you using? How large is the container? And how often do you fertilize?

Let me share two pics. The first is a cutting that I rooted for a friend. Pic taken in October 2010.

Josh

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

When I gave my buddy the Jade, I advised him to fertilize regularly during the growing season. He has done so, and this is the result:

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aw he looks gorgeous. He is in miracle grow potting soil, in a well drained pot. The pot is about 8 inch diameter. He was in a 4 inch pot but was horrible root bound so I put him in a larger pot, and there was about 1.5 inches for me to fill with dirt all around. I hadn't fed him after repotting since the dirt has food in it- but this week I did get some plant food that you add to water and gave him that. My plant doesn't have branches just to long things coming up from a bulbous base. I've raised succulents before, never had this issue. I a thinking of giving up and putting a cactus in the pot.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Angie. How strange!

Jades are semi-slow growers, but you certainly should have seen new growth in 2-years.

You said you repotted. How much space is between rootball and inner container?

If the pot is too small, roots have no room to grow, therefore leaf/branch growth will halt.

On the other hand, 'many will disagree.' If the pot is too large, roots need to grow larger before new leaves form. (4-plus inches between rootball and inner container.)

Jades are sun lovers. South or west windows are perfect. Summer your Jade outdoors, if possible.
    If you decide to place outside, start off in a shady spot, then as the days go by, move to a brighter location. If it's placed in direct sun, leaves will burn.

I fertilize succulents with Fish Emulsion. FE is organic and won't burn roots. High in nitrogen.
    You can also alternate FE with your usual brand.

When temps are high, 90's-plus, growth halts, but there had to be a chilly period in your area. 'Unless you live on the sun, lol. j/k, the last two years.

Jades need light to grow healthy trunks/leaves. Placing in shade won't help.

Have a photo? Toni

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

Are you sure what you have is a Jade?

"My plant doesn't have branches just to long things coming up from a bulbous base. "

Your description doesn't sound like it. Perhaps you could pls. provide a pic?

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the tag said it was some sort of Jade and my MIL thinks it is a jade, too but to me the leaves are kinda thin and not plump like your jades.

I don't know how to post photos, but I uploaded some to my facebook acct and if you click these links you can see my plant.

You have to CLICK on the actual picture to see it fullsize in the pot....

Those are dead leaves in the pot. I give him back his dead leaves in case there's any benefit to them (nutrition?)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151534129773364&set=a.10151313659868364.1073741825.674588363&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151534129388364&set=a.10151313659868364.1073741825.674588363&type=1&theater

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry, but that is NOT a Jade plant, I am certain of it.

Looks more like an Adenium (Desert Rose). I don't grow these, but if you search at the Cactus & Succulent Forum nearby (see the top of the front page above), likely you can find similar plants shown there.

Also, if you wish to repeat this post there, it's likely you can get help for its care & culture.

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WELL WELL WELL!
    It is a desert rose.
    Poor thing hasn't had a hope of a flower in all the time i have had it.

http://www.florafauna.com/caresheet-categories/cactii-and-succulents-en/adenium-care-sheet-ernie-bryant.html

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Also, pls. remove dead leaves (leaf debris) which only contributes to rot, which I'm SURE you don't want.

Glad to help straighten out what you REALLY have! Good luck w/ it.

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to move it outside onto the porch and see if it likes it better out there. I will remove the dead leaves today.

Thanks so much for helping me. Had I not known the correct identity of the plant, I never would have a hope of taking care of it.

After reading about them, tho, it seems I still have the same issue. He was outside all summer long last year and he did not flower or grow.

Hmmmm.

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

reposted this in the succlent forum :-) THANKS guys!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Karen, you should be a detective. :) It never occurred to me the plant not be a Jade. Sheesh.

Angie, Karen's right..you can check 'C&S Forum.' There's also a semi-new 'Adenium Forum.'
    Toni

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't see the adenium forum???

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Angie... Return to House Plant main page. Click on 'Other Forums.' Scroll down until you see 'Browse Forums' by Title. 'Adenium Forum' is the second forum down.