Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sradleye

umbrella tree dropping leaves

sradleye
10 years ago

my umbrella tree is 1. dropping leaves 2. has worrying discoloration on the new stem 3. an older leave shriveling up

I have changed a couple things recently 1. moved outside on to porch. gets a small amount of direct sun in the morning hours. 2. I fertilized it

I am thinking I have over fertilized? what do you think and what can I do about it?

Comments (8)

• sradleye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 2

• sradleye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 3

• sradleye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump for help! im actually leading toward sun now, i've moved to zero direct sunlight location. But, i share porch space and my neighbor has a scheffelara in an even sunnier spot than i had mine seems fine, neglected but fine.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

I think it's just reacting to the sudden increase in light.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

I think it's just reacting to the sudden increase in light.

• sradleye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i think so too. and possible how cold it has been here. into low 50s at night. im reading some things that say keep at night time temps above 60 degrees. July and its too cold for plants, unreal.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Had to check it but that temperature is about 10C to 12C, which over night your plant should cope with. But hopefully it comes up a lot higher during the day.

The discolorisation on the leaf looks like variegation rather than some sort of mineral deficiency. I wonder if there was some unstable variegation in that plants parentage.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

I would guess that most of the leaf changes you're seeing are the result of changing the light. Arboricolas - that's what I call them, or dwarf schefflera - are awfully tough. Losing a few leaves is not a big deal. You could leave yours out on the porch, it ought to adapt. Where I live in Florida, they are a major landscape plant, which means full sun and temps down to freezing at least a couple of times in the winter.