Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Monstera...!

No room for this Monster under the bed! ;)

I don't typically post pictures of this plant, but I'm enjoying the massive growth this year.

The plant itself sits in one spot in the house, and I turn it completely when the foliage begins to lean.

This is the second growth spurt since Spring.

The plant doesn't photograph well, either...

But here's the largest of the new leaves I wanted to share:

{{gwi:93809}}

Josh

Comments (20)

• drvongirl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow Josh, that is some leave!! I recently purchase a verigated monsteria. How long have you had yours and how tall is it? Here is a pic of mine, since this was taken another leave has opened, It's still a baby but I can't wait until it gets big! Ellen

{{gwi:93810}}

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Josh, that is one BIG leaf! Is it growing out or indoors?

I too am interested in its age. I bought two variegated Monsteras, (2 leaves) but no splits.

Drvongirl's has 3 leaves, but split. Hmm. Your variegated is beautiful...

Any ideas?
    BTW, Josh, how are you? It's been a long time..

{{gwi:93811}}

{{gwi:93812}}

Just noticed the green and white has one leaf.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    13 years ago

The splits in monstera leaves come as they grow larger and age, The leaves will change form somewhat as they get older. Repot it in a fast draining soil and find something for it to climb up.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    13 years ago

Here's a couple of photos of mine;

{{gwi:93813}}

{{gwi:88319}}

Started out a few years ago with just a couple of stems less then a foot high, potted them in a 12" pot, in a mix of shredded wood chips, peat moss, sphagnum moss and organic potting soil. I water it whenever I think about it which is anything from a couple of times a week to once every two weeks. I rarely ever fertilize it, I forget to. It get no direct sun but is in bright indirect light. It is tied to a 2" bamboo pole and is over 6 feet high. Always has new growth but it's never grown a spathe for me.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Great color - healthy looking leaf. You're doing things right, Josh. Great work!

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, folks!

Hey, Toni!
    This plant is always indoors, and it sits in the same spot until I turn it 180 or so.
    The age I'd reckon to be about 8 years. By turning it back and forth, I've developed
    some good strength in the stems. It's still a heavy plant. Your plants are off to a great start! Fast-draining soil, I agree with Dan.

Al, I appreciate it, sir!

Dan, that's a nice big leaf! No direct sun for mine, either. Here's a blurry pic:

{{gwi:93816}}

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Josh!
    It looks wonderful!!
    Love seeing your plants..:)

I can't have plants like that, my cat would have a field day with it. LOL!

JoJo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, Dan, you made me do it! ;)
    This leaf measures a solid 16 inches from ear ta ear!

I apologize for the blurry pics. Low light, battery dying, and sloppy camera-work!

{{gwi:93817}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, JoJo!
    I almost missed your post!

So you have a trouble-making cat in the house, eh? ;)

My cats are outdoor critters, and they're on their best behavior when I let them in.

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,
    Looks like we were typing at the same time. :)

Well I wouldn't say Goober is a trouble maker.. more like a 20 lb goofball that would see a plant like that as a toy or eat it. LOL!

He doesn't get out so he drolls when i bring one in.

I stick to hanging plants and will have to admire yours in the meanwhile.

I just told him I was gonna trade him for your good girls, and he wasn't impressed. LOL!

Have a great night!
    JoJo

• dellis326 (Danny)
    13 years ago

We have 3 cats, They don't bother with the plants. I used to carry it outside at least once a year and hose it down and flush the soil but now it is too heavy so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Dan

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh,

I never knew you had a plant like that! It is too nice to grow under the bed..lol

Very very nice.. Ok, you know how I got you interested in growing citrus, well you peeked my interest in this one...lol.Now I am off to e-bay if I have to to get one of thses..I love it! It looks easy to grow in a room that just gets a lot of bright light..I have a perfect spot in my plant room that get no direct sun, nor dimmly lit.

Thank you and hello everyone else..Happy friday!

Mike

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Mike,
    Do a google search for it and see what comes up. Ebay can get expensive and you never know what you may get. ;)
    I only go there as a last resort.

Dan your lucky, yours behave. Mine still has alot of kitten in him,(and he's 9 ! ) and my 2 small dogs dont help any.. they get to all playing.. and into mischief. ;)

Have a great day everyone!
    JoJo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Friday, Mike and JoJo!

Thanks, Mike! I bet you'll love this giant plant...the large foliage immediately transforms a room.
    I might still have a few plants you haven't seen...I still have a few Aces up my sleeve - Balfour Aralia,
    Dieffenbachia, Bromeliad, African Violets. After all, we can't go selling the whole farm, now can we? ;)
    Gotta keep some of the mystery alive!

If anyone was wondering, that little trashcan is full of birdseed. I had to bring it inside....
    the raccoons "discovered" it in the garage a couple weeks ago. What a mess that was....

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh, well I still got one you hav not seen yet! I will have to pull that on eout of the hat since it's a unique one and I have not got a clue of what it is..lol

Please fill us in on your hidden treasures will ya?

Hug Jojo!!!

Hi Jojo!!!:-) :-)

Mike

• cmwren
    13 years ago

Me, too! Me, too! I have Monsteras. I loooovvvvve my Monsteras

{{gwi:93818}}
    Baby monster, although not as young as it looks. :: sniff :: It has been rather neglected (all of those sad leaves are the old ones) over the last three (could it be five?) or so years, but I'm trying to do better, and it seems to have forgiven me. I'll know it has for sure when it uncurls its first split leaf! Good thing that trellis isn't glued or soldered together, because it would not be easy to get the plant off it now if I needed to; the incredibly hot and humid summer we have been having has both of my monsters producing aerial roots like mad. *

My pride and joy:

{{gwi:93819}}
    (The photos I've tried to take don't do this specimen justice. It's going sideways at the moment, and probably spreads about five or so feet across. It's gaining length rapidly and will look fantastic when it's trained to go up.)

Amazingly great buy/rescue from Wallyworld last summer; you have to nearly meet the delivery truck to get even remotely vigorous plants on a good day, and it's practically impossible to find any sort of generic-retail-store plant that isn't merely a cutting or three recently stuck in a pot. To find a still-alive plant with such a thick crown as this was incredible:

{{gwi:93820}}
    It spent last summer on my deck recovering from its ordeal, miraculously survived the winter inside, and was spitting out new leaves as soon as I upped its water and put it out on the deck again this year.

{{gwi:93821}}
    The first batch of this year's leaves (six) are just over 15" top-to-bottom and still growing. Second round (another six or so) are just unfurling. Dang thing is even sending up new shoots from that dense center! Eek. I'm already planning on building it a heavy-duty wheeled base so that I can at least turn it when I am no longer able to haul it up and down the stairs (Like perhaps next year? *lol*) And I've sketched out a pipe trellisto be anchored to the ceiling, if necessary!if I chicken out and find myself unable to give it a trim. (Not that that would be so bad; I've had no trouble rooting accidentally acquired pieces of Baby M in water and might take its thickly-leaved top off on purpose. It's just that I don't really need more monster monsteras)

{{gwi:93822}}
    These two plants are actually getting a few hours of direct sun every day. (The big one sits close to a bare east window with a bit of direct morning light in the winter, and Baby M will likely get a sunnier spot than where it has spent the past few winters.) The older leaves do get a tad limp in the horrible heat we've been having (couple days hit 102 in the yard, probably even higher on the deck against the house) but they perk right back up with cooler temps and a good soaking.

Had to laugh at that Philodendron selloum peeking out from a couple of Dan's photos I succumbed and rescued a somewhat young one of those just the other week (no where near as much crown as The Monster, but it is sending up some new shoots in an attempt to catch up with its cousin):

{{gwi:93823}}
    Is it the size and shape of the leaves that make these giants so darn attractive? For me it certainly is.

* Saw a neat thing at a local garden center's greenhouse earlier this month: they simply allowed the aerial roots from an ancient tree philo to curl down and around into a giant saucer of water! (Poor thing was, however, more roots than plant.)

• cmwren
    13 years ago

All the other monsters are fantastic, too!!! And it's a good thing variegated varieties and I don't get along too well (the more hardy closer-to-wild stock has more of a fighting chance with me) or I just might be tempted to track down a green and white monstera...

Wren

Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Wren, that's a monster haven! ;)
    I have my hands full with just the one...and I don't move it, other than to turn it side to side!
    Thanks for sharing these lovely pics!

Josh

• cmwren
    13 years ago

Thanks, Josh! Yours is so much better behaved, though. *lol* My monster just sprawls...

Please don't give me too much credit: there's just the one large monstera, the small one, and the Philo (who is too young to get out of control yet--I hope!). Luckily, the cats' room (yes, my indoor-only horde has their own room) still has space for The Monster (and it's too big for them to seriously chomp on), and I have a couple of bright nooks in mind for the other two. Winter is a semi-dormant, just-keep-it-alive time so I'm hoping that I can get these guys out again next year. Might need to shift them to the larger deck, though!

Hot as Hades this summer, but the houseplants are loving it big time. I'm not looking forward to the wailing and pouting and tantrums when everyone has to come back inside. Eek eek eek.

Wren

• stinkybuds
    13 years ago

IMG_2550.JPG
    This is my Monstera that I bought from Home Depot a few weeks ago. They had just gotten them in and looked great, so I couldn't refuse. I repotted it and built a moss post for it to climb on. The only weird thing about this plant is that when I watered it, a very dark Coca-Cola brown liquid came out the bottom, no odor or anything. Just strange. But other than that it seems healthy. I added a bunch of fresh potting soil when repotted and it seems happy in it's location. The other pics you all have posted of your Monsteras are great! I love the lush tropical greenery.