Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Plants you can't grow?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

What are some plants you just can't keep alive? For me it's African Violets, Crotons, Aphelandra squarrosa(amazed I kept it alive for a year), Palms, and anything that requires high humidity.

Comments (25)

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

New guinea impatiens. They always decline quickly on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

• sradleye
    10 years ago

i've not had much success with the palms either. i guess i should pay more attention to the humidity. difficult to do. plus i hate keeping a bunch of standing water in the apartment.

the bigger palms are like cat playgrounds too :/

• sradleye
    10 years ago

cool site trini

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

Thanks Sradleye! I've only gotten into blogging this past year. I wish I has done it sooner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

• a1pha_fema1e
    10 years ago

Ivy's. They always get spider mites! I did kill an african violet once too but I only tried it the once.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm trying a Hatiora x graeseri. hope I don't kill it.

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

English Ivy for me too. Most people cant grow this because the indoor air is too dry

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm hoping I don't have to add Easter Cactus to my list cause from I heard is that they like to drop their pads :(((.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

African Violets & most cactus for me

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Fuchsia and tuberous Begonias. The heat and humidity kills them.

Big ones. As soon as something gets big enough to propagate, off with its' head!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Apparently Parlour palms and Snakeplants for me. I've tried three parlour palms, only for every one to rot out on me! I can't seem to get the watering correct with snakeplants either, I had one for over a year, only to take it out of the pot (had a feeling something was wrong), and discover it had almost no roots. *sigh* I like both plants a lot too.

Planto

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

China Doll ( Radermachera sinica). I can grow african violets, crotons and palms, but NOT China Dolls. I like them so much, but have no luck keeping them alive.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Poinsettias

Crassula streyi

Sago Palm

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

String of pearls , I've killed so many pots of these, I've lost count. I managed to keep one alive all last summer when I put it outside, but as soon as it got too cold for it to be outside and brought it indoors, it did okay for about a month then suddenly died. And I've tried every which way to care for it, even ignoring it.....but this plant just dislikes me!! Now when I see them for sale, I don't even bother looking at them anymore, they have become unappealing to me now.

Watermelon peperomia, I just can't get the care right with them either, and after killing several, I don't like them anymore. Lol

And I won't even try ivies or poinsettias, everyone seems to have too many issues with them, and they're unattractive to me too.

• User
    10 years ago

Hopeful, Sagos do not overwinter well in the house! I keep mine in the garage from December to March. Kept chilly but frost free, they love it. I also cannot keep them alive in the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 of several

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

tacca integrifolia and Strongylodon macrobotrys,

Both are among my favorite non-aroid plants and neither will last long for me. Neither will do well in a dry heated house or air conditioning.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Alocasia amazonica(african mask) are among my favorite EEs and for years I've been watching them die and die and die. Always been a drainage issue(not enough) I'm finding out and hopefully managing a little better today. At the moment I have one in the front garden bed which is a layer of dirt over what seems to be a few feet of sand(excellent drainage) and although the little guy is taking it kinda slow,he's in good shape so far so I'm blissed out about that. :)

Let's hope I got this thing licked!

I still believe that calatheas will die if I get within twenty yards of them though. :/

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Phalaenopsis orchids. Yes, I am a Phal killer! Also, Lithops.

This post was edited by tommyr on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 21:33

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

My list is big, but one I've tried a couple of times is the common Crucifix Orchid (Epidendrum). Got some from my father and they slowly dwarfed and then disappeared. He had clumps of them growing in the garden.

Late last year I got some more from a friend in a warmer climate hoping those may fare better. So far they're still hanging in but staying small (fingers crossed).

Another I've tried is Chalice Flower, Solandra maxima. A friend sent me a whole lot of already rooted cuttings. A few rotted straight away and the rest put out some new growth but also rotted over the next few weeks.

It's annoying when you know people who have these plants almost as weeds.

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

I can grow anything, but when it comes to Bonsai I have no luck. I follow the directions on care but nothing works for me.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Cactus! I can't keep one alive if you paid me..

I either let them dry out too long, wet them too often, don't keep them hot enough, or cough and they drop dead...

Mike

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

The one that's been in standing water for the past fifteen years.

• BronwynH
    10 years ago

African violets. Any kind of cactus. Jade trees.

Actually, I bought my last jade tree in university and kept it alive for almost four years. It didn't really grow, but it always looked healthy. It was actually another post-marriage victim of my dh's cat. She knocked it off the shelf it sat on, breaking many of the limbs. That started a slow decline and 6 months later it was dead.

I almost wouldn't mind trying one again. Can anyone recommend a website that gives really good, detailed information on the care of jade trees? (I say partly thinking I should just stick to what I know I can grow and partly wondering where on earth I'd put another plant.)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Lithops, had one turn to jelly on me overnight.

Christopher

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Winter killed a Peperomia caperata pretty quickly in my old house. Too cold probably and I kept the soil too wet. Too bad, because I always think they are kind of cute. Also have killed quickly a croton and an African mask. I caused a Phal that I was babysitting to stop blooming and start to decline. I bought a new one for my friend when she returned.