Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants you can't grow?

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:23

What are some plants you just can't keep alive? For me it's African Violets, Crotons, Aphelandra squarrosa(amazed I kept it alive for a year), Palms, and anything that requires high humidity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants you can't grow?

New guinea impatiens. They always decline quickly on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

o

i've not had much success with the palms either. i guess i should pay more attention to the humidity. difficult to do. plus i hate keeping a bunch of standing water in the apartment.

the bigger palms are like cat playgrounds too :/

o

cool site trini

o

Thanks Sradleye! I've only gotten into blogging this past year. I wish I has done it sooner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

o

Ivy's. They always get spider mites! I did kill an african violet once too but I only tried it the once.

o

I'm trying a Hatiora x graeseri. hope I don't kill it.

o

English Ivy for me too. Most people cant grow this because the indoor air is too dry

o

I'm hoping I don't have to add Easter Cactus to my list cause from I heard is that they like to drop their pads :(((.

o

African Violets & most cactus for me

o

Fuchsia and tuberous Begonias. The heat and humidity kills them.

Big ones. As soon as something gets big enough to propagate, off with its' head!

o

Apparently Parlour palms and Snakeplants for me. I've tried three parlour palms, only for every one to rot out on me! I can't seem to get the watering correct with snakeplants either, I had one for over a year, only to take it out of the pot (had a feeling something was wrong), and discover it had almost no roots. *sigh* I like both plants a lot too.

Planto

o

China Doll ( Radermachera sinica). I can grow african violets, crotons and palms, but NOT China Dolls. I like them so much, but have no luck keeping them alive.

o

Poinsettias

Crassula streyi

Sago Palm

o

String of pearls , I've killed so many pots of these, I've lost count. I managed to keep one alive all last summer when I put it outside, but as soon as it got too cold for it to be outside and brought it indoors, it did okay for about a month then suddenly died. And I've tried every which way to care for it, even ignoring it.....but this plant just dislikes me!! Now when I see them for sale, I don't even bother looking at them anymore, they have become unappealing to me now.

Watermelon peperomia, I just can't get the care right with them either, and after killing several, I don't like them anymore. Lol

And I won't even try ivies or poinsettias, everyone seems to have too many issues with them, and they're unattractive to me too.

o

Hopeful, Sagos do not overwinter well in the house! I keep mine in the garage from December to March. Kept chilly but frost free, they love it. I also cannot keep them alive in the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 of several

o

tacca integrifolia and Strongylodon macrobotrys,

Both are among my favorite non-aroid plants and neither will last long for me. Neither will do well in a dry heated house or air conditioning.

o

Alocasia amazonica(african mask) are among my favorite EEs and for years I've been watching them die and die and die. Always been a drainage issue(not enough) I'm finding out and hopefully managing a little better today. At the moment I have one in the front garden bed which is a layer of dirt over what seems to be a few feet of sand(excellent drainage) and although the little guy is taking it kinda slow,he's in good shape so far so I'm blissed out about that. :)

Let's hope I got this thing licked!

I still believe that calatheas will die if I get within twenty yards of them though. :/

o

Phalaenopsis orchids. Yes, I am a Phal killer! Also, Lithops.

This post was edited by tommyr on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 21:33

o

My list is big, but one I've tried a couple of times is the common Crucifix Orchid (Epidendrum). Got some from my father and they slowly dwarfed and then disappeared. He had clumps of them growing in the garden.

Late last year I got some more from a friend in a warmer climate hoping those may fare better. So far they're still hanging in but staying small (fingers crossed).

Another I've tried is Chalice Flower, Solandra maxima. A friend sent me a whole lot of already rooted cuttings. A few rotted straight away and the rest put out some new growth but also rotted over the next few weeks.

It's annoying when you know people who have these plants almost as weeds.

o

I can grow anything, but when it comes to Bonsai I have no luck. I follow the directions on care but nothing works for me.

o

Cactus! I can't keep one alive if you paid me..

I either let them dry out too long, wet them too often, don't keep them hot enough, or cough and they drop dead...

Mike

o

The one that's been in standing water for the past fifteen years.

o

African violets. Any kind of cactus. Jade trees.

Actually, I bought my last jade tree in university and kept it alive for almost four years. It didn't really grow, but it always looked healthy. It was actually another post-marriage victim of my dh's cat. She knocked it off the shelf it sat on, breaking many of the limbs. That started a slow decline and 6 months later it was dead.

I almost wouldn't mind trying one again. Can anyone recommend a website that gives really good, detailed information on the care of jade trees? (I say partly thinking I should just stick to what I know I can grow and partly wondering where on earth I'd put another plant.)

o

Lithops, had one turn to jelly on me overnight.

Christopher

o

Winter killed a Peperomia caperata pretty quickly in my old house. Too cold probably and I kept the soil too wet. Too bad, because I always think they are kind of cute. Also have killed quickly a croton and an African mask. I caused a Phal that I was babysitting to stop blooming and start to decline. I bought a new one for my friend when she returned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here