Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suntower_gardenweb

Need Recommendation: Heat Resistant Hanging Plant

suntower
10 years ago

Hi,

We have a big screen TV with a really nice hand-made hanging planter basket a couple feet above it. Unfortunately, we have yet to find a hanging plant that works well in that spot.

Apparently, the heat from the vents in the top of the TV does a number on whatever plant we put in that spot. We've tried various ferns, ivies and things that look like philodendras. Eventually they all start to dry out.

Watering doesn't seem to be enough. Apparently, these plants just can't take the 'dry heat'.

So: we're looking for a shaggy hanging plant that can withstand the heat from the TV. Anything like that out there?

TIA,

---JC

Comments (12)

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

Have you tried hanging succulents. How about Senecio rowleyanus aka sting of pearls,bead plant

• sradleye
    10 years ago

if you removed the tv you could probably fit many more plants on the entertainment center.

succulents might work with the heat, but light will probably be lacking.

can we get a pic of this thing? sounds kinda neat

and cancel your cable

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

Hrer are other kinds

Sedum morganianum
    Senecio radicans

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

V is forgetting the light requirements in his recommendation of succulents. I somehow doubt that this big screen TV is placed in the amount of light that such a plant needs.

Suntower, how much sunlight does this location recieve? It (the location) already qualifies as a "hostile environment " (my tongue-in -cheek terminology) in my book with the dry heat.

• suntower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should've mentioned that it's fairly low light. I thought sedums require bright light. It's probably 'hostile'.

The TV is only on a couple of hours a day, but clearly that is enough to 'dry' whatever we try to put there.

I should also point out that the location can be watered, but it's just not practical to be removing the plant a lot for 'misting' or 'soaking'. IOW: the plant has to be able to survive in that spot without a lot of special care.

Any other thoughts?

THANKS!

---JC

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Maybe you should try holiday cacti!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Suntower..

Try Pothos. Find an inexpensive plant, or a friend/family member who have extra Pothos cuttings to spare.
    Root cuttings; Pothos are fast-rooting.

Another posibility, 'depending on your shelf,' is growing Pothos in water. No soil whatsoever.
    Of course your shelf must be sturdy. Sturdy enough, if someone bumps in the shelf, the vase don't tumble on your tv. lol. Toni

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I think at this point, you should just go with plastic. It sounds like this location is just not a place where a real plant would like to live.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

might be on to something with the fake plant. a plant just surviving without any special care. probably wont look as nice as you want it to look in a focal point of your house. otherwise the pothos is a good suggestion. can look ok in very low light.

i still say ditch the tv

• sradleye
    10 years ago

might be on to something with the fake plant. a plant just surviving without any special care. probably wont look as nice as you want it to look in a focal point of your house. otherwise the pothos is a good suggestion. can look ok in very low light.

i still say ditch the tv

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I too was thinking plastic or silk, but figured folks would think me rude for saying that.

Pothos sounds a good idea, otherwise, maybe it's just not a spot for plants.

• suntower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a couple of Pothos cuttings. I had no idea that's what they're called. Thanks. Worth a try!