Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID this viny houseplant

Posted by SnailLover MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 13:46

Have had this for several years. The cutting came from a friend named Dave, so we call it the 'Dave Plant.' lol. Leaves are smooth, thick, waxy looking, and variegated. It blooms only occasionally. The blossoms look almost like plastic and smell VERY very pungent (see pic).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID this viny houseplant

Hi,

That is a Hoya, likely a Hoya carnosa & what lovely blooms it has. Nice plant, looks healthy. Try sniffing the blooms in evening, I believe this is one of the Hoyas some folks say can smell like chocolate.

FYI: though this can certainly be discussed here (yes, it's a houseplant, but can be grown outdoors too), there's also a Hoya forum here (see front page, at the very top) where only these plants are discussed.

o

Thank you so much! I've been wondering what it is for years. The Dave Plant finally has a proper name :)

o

I have one in my glazed porch and when it flowers you can smell it all through the house. Very tolerant of neglect. Just for clarity it is frost tender so can only be grown outdoors during the summer in colder zones.

o

Yeah, a very strong fragrance. After a few days it's almost overpowering. But it's such a pretty bloom and doesn't happen very often, so I just put up with it and appreciate the beauty. Good to know it can go outside in summer (I'm in zone 5).

o

I think I've mentioned that I had one so enormous that it would have hundreds of flowers in various stages of development almost all the time. The scent of chocolate was 'gag-O-licious '. I jumped for joy when someone begged to buy it from me, lol.

o

I have one, been abusing it for years. Maybe that is why it has no scent? Never had a smell of any kind, but it sure does draw medium sized fuzzy yellow bumble bees. I just went out to smell it since it is nearing dark, and find that the African Violets have more scent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here