Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkineater2

Uh oh! more spider plants!

pumpkineater2
10 years ago

I don't know why I planted more spider plant seeds. I really do not have room for when these get big. I guess I just love them too much!

Comments (11)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Thats great, hopefully you will find some room

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Pumpkin, Congrats on new Spider sprouts.

Do you have other plants?

If not, allow room for other types.
    I see you've recently regestered here on GW. Welcome.

Warning. Browsing plants on GW is addicting. Believe me, I know! :)

Before you know it, you'll have 500 rarities and 50 Spiders. lol.

Congrats, Toni

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes I've got other plants! About 45 houseplants in total. 22 different containers of various size to accomodate all those plants. I have: as of now,11 spider plants, 13 (small) areca palms(9 are sharing one pot), about 9 or 10 syngoniums, 2 dwarf scheffleras(In one pot), 2 chinese evergreens(In one pot), 2 pothos, one aloe vera, one dracaena, one phalaenopsis orchid One ivy And one kalanchoe. There's only 2 windows in the entire house that I can use so things are very crowded

• a1pha_fema1e
    10 years ago

Yay! My seed pods are forming and ripening now, can't wait to plant them! What exactly did you use/do?

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't do anything special really. I think the soil is some kind of peat, but I'm not sure. I buried the seeds about 1/4 inch deep then filled a small bowl with water and let it soak up. I made sure that the soil stayed very wet but not soggy.
    I planted them on June 18th and the first sprout wasn't until July 6th.

• a1pha_fema1e
    10 years ago

Thanks! Some more specific questions: How long did you let the pods dry before planting? Did you let them dry on or off the mama? Or did you keep the pods on the mama and collect the seeds as they dropped on their own? Did you take the seeds out of the pod or did you plant the whole pod? Thanks!!
    Sarah

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I let the pods dry completely on the plant before I removed them but the seeds that I used here sat around for several months anyway before I decided to plant them. I took the seeds out of the pods and they were planted individually. It's probably best to let the seeds sit out for about a week after they've been taken out of the already dried pod. The pods grow to full size within a few days but after that they take about a month or so to just sit there and mature. In case you're wondering how to pollinate the flowers, I do it with a small paintbrush. I twist the bristles around on the little pollen stalks and make sure to get pollen on the little white receptor in the middle of the flower. The receptor looks like a pollen stalk but a little longer and without a clump of pollen on the tip. And of course be sure to cross pollinate with other flowers:)

• Tuija
    10 years ago

You said: I really do not have room for when these get big. Is this a good size spider plant?

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wouldn't it be cool if there actually were certain spiders that would stay that size.

• a1pha_fema1e
    10 years ago

OMG is that plant real? I want one!

Thanks for the info! I just use my finger to pollinate. My son (15) likes to say I'm forcing the plants to have sex. Teenagers I tell ya!

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol I Never thought of it that way before.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions