Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please share pics of houseplants summering outside. Some of mine)

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I'll hate to bring these in from outside. How are your plants doing? Where do you keep them? In sun? In shade? Please. let's see some of your happy campers!

A few group plantings.

{{gwi:94135}}

{{gwi:94136}}

{{gwi:94138}}

{{gwi:94139}}

{{gwi:94140}}

{{gwi:94141}}

{{gwi:94142}}

{{gwi:94144}}

A variegated Oleander

{{gwi:94146}}

Murraya Paniculata. VERY fragrant!

{{gwi:94148}}

Chinese Perfume Tree in the center. Fragrant

{{gwi:94150}}

Another Piniculta

{{gwi:94152}}

Gold Fish plant

{{gwi:94154}}

{{gwi:94156}}

Variegated stick plant and a few others

{{gwi:94158}}

{{gwi:94160}}

A few Orchids some re-flowering and very fragrant

{{gwi:94162}}

{{gwi:94163}}

Variegated 'Gollum' jade plant

{{gwi:94164}}

A couple of special Hoya plants starting to flower

{{gwi:94165}}

{{gwi:94166}}

Desert rose starting to flower.

{{gwi:94167}}

{{gwi:94168}}

Here are just a few. we would love to see a few of yours before the fall approaches. Thank you:-)

Mike

Comments (77)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Few of mine - since we had rain last night, I just hid them all under the umbrella...

{{gwi:94250}}{{gwi:94251}}{{gwi:94252}}{{gwi:94253}}{{gwi:94254}}{{gwi:94255}}{{gwi:94256}}{{gwi:94257}}

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

Wow, everyone has such a beautiful array of great plants.
    This is really a bad idea for me to look at everyone's
    collection, gives me ideas.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Rina, it's taken me a while to look through your pics, so many good ones! I love the structure of your post, too, way cool! It's nice to encounter someone else who appreciates Catalpa. I love the huge leaves.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rob, think I saw Caudex's Jade. It was huge, purchased on Ebay, right?

It was very nice of him? to send you such healthy plants.

If possible, do you know the amount of space between Adeniums rootball and container?
    I fear potting my Adeniums in pots too big or deep.

Mike, I won't get bored, but I worry what will happen to my plants when I go to, hopefully, heaven...:)
    Know what I mean? Time flies..not getting younger..

Room for one more..Nowadays, I have to rethink addopting, 'one more'...Plants are getting larger, and space IS a problem. lol.

Rina, do you not allow your plants to get rained on? You mentioned an umbrella..

Your plants are doing fantastic.

What is the first plant, growing between rocks in row 6? Are roots growing in the crevice?

Entero..Gives you ideas for???? Adding new plants? lol

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Purple,
    Thank you. The catalpa was just a sucker, so I am very happy that it 'made it', this is 2nd year in the pot. Needs better soil (finally have supply of pine fines, yay!)
    And I have to give credit to Rosemarie for posting 'how to post multi photos' months ago, I had no idea how to do it.

Toni,
    I love rain on my plants - did not have enough this year so far...I 'hide' cacti & succulents under umbrella in case of too much or heavy rain. Some still gets thru, just enough for them to get drink. Day I took photos, we had short but heavy rain.
    The plant growing between rocks is 'donkey tail spurge' or euphorbia myrsinites. It is hardy here, grows very easily - no care needed, except to keep it where you want it, it could reseed easily. But I don't have problems with it so far. It grows in the crevices (& there is a volunteer columbine growing there too...)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Entero,

I agree with you. When I joined GW in Feb this year, I owned only large jade plant (cacti/succulents-had few other potted house plants) and couple of kalanchoes and burro's tail. Now, there is about 50...and numerous leaves being rooted, and the jade got whacked so there is many cuttings...I blame all those beautiful photos of other members.

Sorry about double post above, I don't know how I did that...Rina

11 years ago

Sorry about double post above, I don't know how I did that.

I'm amateur investigating this, so may I ask, was there a cell phone involved? Clicking back button on computer browser? Thanks!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Purple,

no cell phone, I must have done something on my laptop but have no idea what...Don't think it was back button, but I did preview couple of times. Rina

• Lamora
    11 years ago

these are all i have except for a few hanging up, not nearly as nice as all yours~ but I'm working on it!! hehe
    {{gwi:94292}}
    remember that baby Rope Hoya I had? Take a look at it now! I cannot beleive how much it has grown!

11 years ago

Rina, thanks, it's definitely a mystery.

Lamora, impressive newish collection. That Hoya looks great! I like how the one little spider's pot has its' nutritional info - LOL! Gives new meaning to "healthy plant." I admit, during the summer I buy a cake once in a while, too hot to turn on the oven to make our own, and the lid of those makes an awesome pot, wider and more shallow than a traditional pot, and see-through. Won't have to wonder what the roots are doing in those.
    What kind of dog - great Dane? Your dog and ours could be twins!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Purple

I posted on cacti/succulents forum this morning (Question about donkey tail), and same happened - double post, definitely did not use back button, no phone. Did preview (corrected spelling) once...It bugs me.
    Rina

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

LOVE the plants, but I also like peeking at your living rooms and yards, lol.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

lol-- did NOT EVEN NOTICE!! (nutrional value) but oh well, "do with what you have", is my motto. I have 3 spider plants in different pots, I think I am about ready to put them together, all but one "curly" (bonnie if i remmeber right) I want her alone. but to me they all look curly, and I am sure that at least one is from the straight side of the mamma.

Oh and the Dane??? I WANT ONE!! very beautiful animal, I miss mine so much. Hoping one day I will be able to get another one... Sadie is a good girl tho, love her to pieces, spoiled out of her mind tho~~ lol

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

Lamora!!!! Are those the curly spiders I saw?? lol
    I had to give in and order one online. It came and
    I love it. You are soooo lucky! Sorry right now my
    eyes are green with envy! Hope no one noticed.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Enterotoxigenic00~~ yep~ curly spider plant, seems like they are hard to find, funny thing is, it was the first spider I seen in the store, I wasnt even LOOKING for plant then, didn't want one. Had NO plants at time. But this one? HAD to have it. Mamma Spider is hanging up, she isn't in the photo. Here she is. She is coming out of a hard last few months.
    {{gwi:94293}}

She's gonna be just fine tho, she told me.. :)
    Marjie

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Here are some of mine. Most are on my front deck which gets a little dappled sunshine throughout the day.

{{gwi:94294}}

{{gwi:94295}}

{{gwi:94296}}

{{gwi:94297}}

{{gwi:94298}}

Three Brugmansias, ass't plants on a tiered stand and my little greenhouse in the backyard.
    {{gwi:94299}}

A few succulents on the back deck in the sun.
    {{gwi:94300}}

11 years ago

The pics in this thread are amazing! Love everyone's plants!

• pigletcompany
    11 years ago

Here st my plants outside....all of them are rescues this year besides the fern and the AV. The others were on the dead rack and have just thrived.
    Have a great day!!!
    Carla

• pigletcompany
    11 years ago

These were all rescues.

• pigletcompany
    11 years ago

The Christmas cactus is not a rescue...it belonged to my g-g-g-grandmother...

• pigletcompany
    11 years ago

This fern was a rescue last year and I almost threw it away.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Just a couple of mine that are currently outside:

Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess, Cryptanthus (Earth Star) 'Chocolate Soldier,' and Hoya carnosa' Krimson Princess.' The hoyas cost me $.02 with a gift card and the Cryptanthus was clearanced for a total of $1.37. It has since flushed with color, is now budding (if you can squint close enough) and has two pups!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Sorry I can't post more than one photo at a time in the same post, webshots is disagreeing with me right now and won't allow me to upload anything. This is my Thanksgiving Cactus, I recently repotted it and it's since exploded.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Last but not least, here are some Lepismium cruciforme cuttings that are showing new growth already (the new growth is teeny tiny, can't really photograph it well)! I also have three ZZ plant leaves that are forming roots and little "potatoes" as I call them, and three Sansevieria cuttings that have produced roots (of which, neither of these are pictured, don't want to bore you with pictures of leaves). Thanks for looking.

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Mike,
    How's the phlo 'Hope' I sent you. I know you liked the larger sized ones and I said 'Hope' wasn't supposed to get very big. Well it was too big for me to take care of. Also are those the agaves I sent you? Looking good my friend. I pictured my plants in another posting here (cactus & Sec.) but not nearly as nice as the ones here. I didn't post my house plants just my cactus and suc. and my sansevierias. Might not be a bad idea just for record keeping purposes.
    Stush

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Continuing the dog and pony show

{{gwi:94301}}

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

cant get more than one

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

plantmasterm

just posted instructions on your other thread...

• marybright
    11 years ago

My begonia collection summers under crape myrtles at top of drive. When they come in it's to black plastic greenhouse benches at four south-facing windows. These benches are my limit; if they don't fit; I can't commit. [So far....]

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

Love seeing all of your trees!!

They all look so healthy...

Love seeing everyone plants they all look wonderful.

Im sorry that i haven't posted to your thread, but i will get some pics up. I dont have many others vaarieties that most have on here, but i can share some of what i have..

K is getting ready to have her little one soon, so i have been busy with her and gettings things done. Her hubby just arrived back from Aftganistan and im so glad he is home for the birth. WHOO HOO "welcome home 82nd Airborne"

I just wanted to say that i was thinking of you and i will post some pics soon.

Hi to Sissy!! (hugs too!) I will miss the trip up to BOS , but K willl be having her baby then. Same time as moms reunion, so maybe next year...

Thanks for the great pics.. Josh, your special orchid is looking fabulous. You should be so proud.. : )

Take care,

Laura

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

some of my beauties

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MY GOODNESS EVERYONE!

I have been so not feeling well these days and finally had a moment to take a quick peek at this thread!

Thanks for the beautiful flowers, plants, fun, and party!
    It's just what I needed to end my day.
    So much to see and say and I don't know where to begin since I last posted.

I must say I am feeling kind of teh blues seeing how fast the cool nights are creeping up on my plants! Soon I will have to use a space heater again to keep my orchids warm at night in the greenhouse.

A special hello to Laura since I know she has been through much. Much love from here!

Stush, I have a surprise for you soon to be seen here or at the cactus forum.

Sorry I have to run, but you all know how much I enjoy your plants and knowing you all.

Mike:-)

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

one more

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

plantmasterm

your beauties are beautiful - shiny leaves, are they always so clean?
    Is that a kalanchoe in second photo, planted in terracotta pot?

Rina

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hello, everyone!

Just got back to this Thread, and boy has it grown!
    Laura, hello! :-D Mike, I hope you're feeling better, buddy.
    I think I have something here that might cheer you up, Mike....
    remember those Trident cuttings I took? ;-)

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Rina, sorry it has taken me so long to respond, due to rains from tropical storm I haven't had any power for 2 1/2 days..yes that is indeed a kanlanchoe..its a monster the leaves measure 10 1/2" x 4 3/4"..as far as the leaves are concerned I would say that is due to all of the rain we've had

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

plantmasterm

No problem at all.
    Bad enough not to have power, hope no other damage from the storm.

Rina

11 years ago

Wow, I haven't looked at this in a few days and am also blown away!! Although I wouldn't want all of the pictured plants, I've enjoyed looking at every single pic, and continue to be blown away by the vast array of plants collected here.

I took a ton of pics to suggest plants to a friend and ended up writing a blog (never done that before) when my daughter and other people expressed an interest in looking at it, and I was unhappy with an email because the editing was so awkward. When I went to put some of those pics on photobucket for this thread, it said my cheap (free) account is full. So although there are non-house plants in here, my prettiest house plants are part of foliage blog.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Just a little bump, hoping that Mike will see some of the recent updates for him ;-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Josh! I am amazed...How did you do that? I couldn't root a maple if you paid me. In fact, I tried to saved a few branches from mine but I think the abrupt frigid weather after a spell of unusually high temps might of killed them.
    I have to say..Whohoo!!!!! To that buddy, thanks! Great job.

Jeff, your dig cracks me up...lol

Purple, I shall have to take a look at your blog. I can't wait. What's that red trunked plant on your porch to the far right? I like it. It must be amazing for anyone to walk by your home and look at your porch with all those hanging plants.

Lamora, extremely nice. Thank you.

Josh, once again, thanks so much for a peek at once of my best and for what you do.

MIke

Hi Rina!

Plantsmasterm...Very nice. Love them all!

Stush, how are you? Yes, they are all doing remarkable! I will take a pic of a few for you! I appreciate what you sent me for sure. I did have a problem with the phlo, so I stuck it under the trees and left it alone, hoping it would be ok. I am going to take a peek now..............

Mary...If they don't fit, you can't commit? I am just about there.lol I do not own a Begonia yet. I did and the leaves would rot away, but am tempted to try again. They are beautiful, especially the cane ones.

Planto, does that cactus plant flower for you> I love it. I can't believe the deal you got! Mine has bud and I am just waiting for the flowers to open. I can see yours.

Pigle, very very nice. Thank you/

Elky, you know which ones of yours I like. Magnificent!

Laura! How did it go? Are you a proud Mom again? Oops. Grandma? He must be so cute! I am so happy her husband was able to see this. What a blessing!
    By the way, I hope to see you soon again:-) We shall chat soon! Would love to see baby pics.

11 years ago

Mike, I think you're asking about a Begonia, but not sure, maybe Cordyline fruticosa. I move stuff around a lot and not sure which pic you are asking about, sorry.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Hey Mike!

This is one of the few plants I kept outside this summer, got some nice colour...

Christopher

11 years ago

The real Aloe vera in flower - my first pure Aloe to do so.

{{gwi:94303}}

Christopher,

A Haworthia? Looks empurpled and rocky.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Hi Jeff,

I have posted that one before, Haworthia pygmaea f. crystallina, to the best of my knowledge, but this is the first time it's been outdoors for any length of time...At least it tanned, and did not burn, unlike some of its less fortunate brethren in my care lately.

Nice Aloe flower stalk, nice to see the genuine A. vera. Veritas!

Christopher

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, on August 23 at 9:30 you posted it again! I love it!
    This time it's to the far left. It is the reddest one there. It's beautiful.

Chris....How did you get that plant to look so purple? It's quite different and very nice!

Jeff, what do you mean by 'real' Aloe vera? I have had many, and never got mine to flower like that. Nice

Mike:-)

11 years ago

Mike,

There are lots of Aloe vera sold as the real thing, but they have orange flowers, making them not the real thing.

• americangolden
    11 years ago

{{gwi:94304}}

{{gwi:94305}}

One of my Jade plants.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Mike:

To answer your question, either

A) Dumb luck, which some people on this forum give too little credit to,

OR

B) Lots of Sun.

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, this thread has grown. I too have been very sick...hope you're feeling better.

Everyone's plants are doing great. Like some of you here, IL nights are getting cold..too cold for Sept. We've already had nights in the 40's. Blah!!!

Christopher, your succulent has a beautiful purple hue. So very nice. Toni

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Hi Toni, the simple answer to the colour was shocking it with full sun, after having been indoors for a year.

I was sick for a couple of weeks myself, some fumes at work did a job on my immune system.

We've had some nights in the 40's already too, I think tonight will be another one. Time to get serious about moving to Florida...

Christopher.