Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Salvaged a dying azalea from big store =)

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

With rebate, it is still $3.99. They let dry then watered too much. One of the 4 sticks is not likely to make it. I like the soft pink and white flowers.

{{gwi:94306}}

{{gwi:94309}}

{{gwi:94312}}

{{gwi:94316}}

Comments (30)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

The flower colours suggest there are two different plants at least.
    I can't see a pot - except slightly in pic 3? But I see a jar as well. I'm confused (nothing new there).
    If this is a potted plant which you are trying to save, the first thing I'd now do (if it were me) is to cut off the flowers and the pre-emergent bud to allow the plant to put it's strength into recovery and root growth.
    Can you show the base/pot to see what we are dealing with?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by alisonoz SEQLD Aust (My Page) on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 3:23

Thank you so much for your post. I DO know how to keep these. I have removed the plant from pot and sit it on paper towels for a while. Yes, the plant has no pot at this time. It has been a week since I bought the plant. I am amazed that it has recovered.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Juju, what a gorgeous Azalea, and a great price, too!

I love the light pink, semi-transparent flowers. When I bought plants, I'd look for bargains.
    Home Depot sometimes has light pink, 'same pink as yours,' but for some reason they go for 30.00. :)

I wouldn't remove blooms until they fade. Or once flowers start turning to seed.

Why have you not repotted yet? Is there a reason?

Toni

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I ALSO am nursing along a grief stricken azalea, exept I gave it grief!! It was so healthy when brought and now it is alittle down

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 10:23

Thank you for your advice. I love the light pink, semi-transparent flowers ... and I am so glad that I did not have to pay $30 :) I will repot when I have time ...

Posted by teengardener1888 NY Albany 5a (My Page) on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 10:54

New York has acid and soft water. So I guess your situation could be over-watering. If the soil is peat-moss, you could move the root-ball out of the pot; and sit it on paper towels. The plant loves this - I guess their roots love air.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 12:34

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jojo..Hope you didn't think I was being rude or sarcastic when I asked about repotting.
    I just wondered if there was a reason your Azalea was not yet potted.
    Some deep, down secret to success with Azaleas. :)
    Hope you understand. Toni

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 12:44

I get your joke. It is very funny :)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It wasnt overwatering, I forgot it for a few days and it dried out. I have never overwatered a plant before. I am a neglectful waterer

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, do you think if we should use the word "translucent" instead of "transparent" to describe the soft ... light pinke?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Juju..lol.
    Actually, both words are appropriate. :)

However, I did mistake your Azalea blooms from the plant I saw at HD.
    Your Azalea is double flowered, the plant at HD was single-flowered.

In pic 4, the color looks quite similiar to the Azalea at HD.

I use the word transparent because... If you place a finger behind a petal on a very sunny day, you'll notice a shadow/hue. Therefore, the pink I saw is transparent. :)

Have you ever seen edible flowers on a cake. The waxy flowers, 'if they're still used,' not made with powdered sugar, milk, ect. If you've seen waxy, edible flowers on a b-day, etc, cake, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, HD's pink Azalea blooms are clean, clear pink-ish/silver.

Now, if you place a finger under the petal of your plant, when sun is direct, and a shadow doesn't appear, your flowers are translucent. :) Toni

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some updates, more in the future:

{{gwi:94319}}

{{gwi:94322}}

{{gwi:94324}}

{{gwi:94325}}

{{gwi:94326}}

{{gwi:94327}}

{{gwi:94328}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update of the Azalea.

Can you recognize it? See it has grown a LOT and it has a pot now :)

{{gwi:94330}}

{{gwi:94331}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I think this is the first time I've seen a plant of yours outside. Do you take many outside for summer?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:07

I keep my plants inside most of the time.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Juju, are the latter pictures, photos of the salvaged Azalea?
    If so, you've done a fantastic job. Wow!

Yesterday, while at HD, they had a GORGEOUS white-flowered, braided Azalea Tree. 19.99..WAy too much.

If I go back to HD this month, that poor plant will be dead.
    And HD will not reduce cost.

The foliage on your darker pink Azalea, resemble Begonia flowers..They look like doubles..Very nice... Toni

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 10:30

Yes, it is the same salvaged Azalea. I also agree with your description of some big stores.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the fall, the azalea started to set bud. But when I moved it indoors, some of the buds appeared to have dried up. Others are still hanging on there. The soil must be very dry when you move azalea from outside to indoors.

Here is the plant today December 31, 2013:

{{gwi:94332}}

I personally think these are tougher and more suitable than min-roses indoors.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 15:24

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

Nice job saving it! My impression has always been these are very difficult to keep alive inside.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by summersunshine 5b (My Page) on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 22:30

During the transition from greenhouse/outside to dry and hot indoors, the roots of Azaleas stop taking in water, and rot quickly. This is why the roots need to be quite dry during the transition period. The pot should be light and dry. You can sprinkle a tea spoon of water and that is it. Once settled, I find them to be more tolerating if the pot is not too large.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone,

As you can see in my last picture above (Posted by jujujojo on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 15:22), the Azalea successfully adjusted to hot and dark room. It survived.

Again, the key is that the soil must be "almost dry" during the change.

However, before I moved it indoors, they started to form buds. Now, many of the buds are aborted. The plant appears to be confused about season. I have cold winter in zone 6. I bet these can live outdoors all year in England, which makes everything easy.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by shenue z7 MD (My Page) on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 7:43

According to Toni, the correct term should be transparent.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

'I bet these can live outdoors all year in England, which makes everything easy.'

I'm afraid not. Azalea x indica and are frost tender.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 14:18

Floral,

I must be lucky. To keep the Azalea x indica outdoors as long as possible, I placed it in a transparent trash bag. In early November, the low temperature was -5 degree Celsius one day. I examined the bag in the morning. This Azalea appeared to have been completely frozen. The leaves were icy and they lost flexibility. I thought I had lost it. I took it back indoors and placed it at the location shown in the picture. The location is a bit too hot for cyclamen. The second day, I anxiously examined the Azalea ... aha .., it had recovered without any visible damage. Wow, I almost forgot this episode if you did not mention it.

On the other hand, Daphne Odora are garden plants only in the US South. So, I guessed that it is quite tender. Nevertheless, I love the scent and the character of D Odora. They seem to grow ok in pots.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After being indoors for one month, almost all the flower buds have dried up. The plant reverted back to vegetative growth. It is lovely green though. I probably have to try next spring see if it will set buds.

Our sun is already strong enough to burn African violets at noon.

{{gwi:94333}}

{{gwi:94334}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To my surprise, quite a few buds survived and they are growing much larger now. They are showing the lovely pink color now.I think they will be open shortly.

The other dried up tips have grown new leaves and some new buds have been set on these new tips. I wonder if these newly set buds will be open in April?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, the blooming season is here.

Initially, the flowers and buds look like these.

{{gwi:94335}}

{{gwi:94336}}

{{gwi:94337}}

After a month, the flowers and buds look like these. The flowers are so extremely long lasting, that they have already opened for a month and they appear to have not changed at all. I also have new buds forming.

{{gwi:94338}}

{{gwi:94337}}

{{gwi:94339}}

{{gwi:94340}}

{{gwi:94341}}

{{gwi:94342}}

{{gwi:94343}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few days ago, I noticed that I forgot to water this plant for too long. The pot was very dry and the flowers had shown a little wilting.

I took the opportunity to cut all the flowers and divided the pot of Azalea into three pots of Azaleas! It was very easy and clean when the pot was dry and light.

Aha, how cool is that. They have multiplied. I am really enjoying this. We have a few warm days. So I placed them outside in a plastic bag, see the picture. I only did this for a day or two before I moved them back indoors. The plants have set a lot of new buds. I hope they open this year!

{{gwi:94344}}

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

These azaleas are gorgeous. I got one once and it survived fir a year and a 1/2. It made lots of growth and set buds during fall just so I can forget to water it and that the end of that. I really hayed myself for that.... well wonderful job jujujojo. They are way better than 'indoor' roses, which hate the indoors

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by teengardener1888 NY Albany 5a (My Page) on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 18:47

I think continuous and mild attention is necessary for keeping potted houseplants. My Mom loves plants. She buys a lot. When she remembers, she waters them everyday. When she is busy, she forgets about them for weeks. The plants never last long under her care.

I disagree that mini-roses do not like to grow indoors. I have mini-roses growing in true room temperature and they are thriving now. They are located at a unblocked south window.

Many plants need a transition period to adjust indoors. During the transition, the soil should be dry and airy. Give them as much light as you can. Once adjusted, the dryness and the heat are no problem.

My mini roses grow poorly from December to January indoors. I think the plants receive signals that it should not be growing. The signal comes from the sun.

But starting from February, the plants appear to have received the signal and they grow and bloom wonderfully. It is like they have been given the signal to grow.

We had a few warm days so I brought them out. Guess what, a few top leaves got burnt to light brown. These beautiful and fined leaves have been adjusted to indoor South window.

Yes, unblocked South window and room temperature are okay for min roses to thrive. I will post pictures soon.

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator