Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID?

Posted by NVL4 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:17

While out and about earlier today I saw this plant in a lobby. Does anyone know what it is? Sorry the pictures aren't better. It was backlit.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID?

• Posted by NVL4 none (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:19

As you can see it's really tall.

o

Giant Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia nicolae). They are actually easy houseplants if you have the space...and a bit of sun, or decent light. (Not likely to flower in your living room, however.)

P.S., you think THAT'S big, those are its baby pics!

This post was edited by njoasis on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:42

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:24

THANKS!!! LOL @ baby pics! Oh my! I was looking at pics but it didn't seem to have that base that almost looks plaited. Does it only get that as it gets older? You answered my other question - whether it not it would bloom.

o

As I understand it, they don't bloom until big and I doubt your ceiling is high enough. I have seen them in botanical garden trees where they push toward the very top.

Not sure what you mean by plaited base. Are you perhaps thinking about Traveler's Palm (it's related to it)? Traveler's are not nearly as easy in a home...much higher light requirement.

o

All of our regular ceilings are 10 foot except for the vaulted ceilings in the living room and trey ceilings in the bedroom. The vaulted ceilings are at least 20 feet but I would have it in the corner where it's between 12 and 15 feet. When it gets to it's to 15 plus feet in height (or too think) it will become an issue, but I think it will be OK for a while. I need a pretty tall plant.

This is what I was referring to with the base of the plant. This is a white Bird of Paradise.

This post was edited by NVL4 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 13:11

o

Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 14:45

This is what the plant stems remind me of.

http://www.ponyclubvic.org.au/?Page=128

I would be happy if it was just healthy but never bloomed. Blooms would just be a happy surprise. :) the long stems and big dark leaves are just beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here