Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia Identification + Diagnosis Help [w/ Pics]

Posted by adoos none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 14:18

Will upload more pics in more messages.

I live in China, would like to know what species this is.

Also you can see they are not 100% healthy, potentially over-watered. What's your diagnoses?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia Identification + Diagnosis Help [w/ Pics]

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 18:00

One significant limitation is not enough light.

Al

o

It's an Alocasia macrorrhizos. They like a lot of water, but still make sure the drainage is good. They don't sit in water as much as Colocasias can. They also prefer full sun but can cope with a little shade. So if it stays indoors most of the time you should keep it in the brightest area you can. The way yours has grown the temperature must be okay. They are grown for food, especially in Fiji, but most probably also in southern China.

o

very nice plant! I would also agree to give it lots more light. It also appears that pot may not have drainage holes, as it is a decorative container. I would transplant it into a larger container with some nice fresh potting soil and find a nice sunny location for it or put it outside on a patio/porch. Since you are in China, this plant would do excellent outside.

o

Depends where in China. In the north it gets extremely cold, in the south would be okay.

o

Hi. It's a Buddha’s Hand (Alocasia cucullata) NOT Alocasia macrorrhizos.

Please don't try and eat it, you will burn your mouth out.

Here is some info on how to grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddah's Hands

o

I've both Alocasia cucullata and Alocasia macrorrhizos growing at home, have had them for years, and it definitely isn't A. cucullata. Leaf shape is wrong, also growth habit is different.

No taro should be eaten raw, they need to be cooked properly. They're the staple food for millions of people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here