Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumbia

Parlor ? Palm.

brownthumbia
10 years ago

I have a palm that I received when my son died so it's very important to me if I can save it. But for some reason the bottom fronds are turning brown. I thought it may be some sort of an insect so I had some spray from a garden center, used it but I don't think it's going to help. Not knowing much about these plants I don't know if I'm over or under watering it. Wish I knew how to send pics but can't seem to figure it out. Actually some of the larger fronds are turning slightly yellow . Sure hope someone can help me. It's really important to save it if at all possible.

Comments (5)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Brownthumb. I'm very sorry about your loss.

Without a picture, it's difficult being exact.

How long have you had the palm?

Sometimes, Palms need acclimation after changing locations. Lower leaves brown for a while, then after accustomed to house conditions, browning stops.
    Brown leaves will not green, so might as well remove brown parts, or entire leaf/ves if necessary.

Are you sure your palm is a Parlor?

Palms need bright light, humidity and fresh, circulating air. Dry, stuffy rooms can cause leaf/frond browning.
    Spray leaves daily or every other day without wetting soil.
    Light differs depending on palm variety.

Water until soil is saturated. I allow soil to dry somewhat between waterings.
    Watering depends on heat/cold, sun/shade, soil and pot material. Clay dries faster than plastic pots.

Palms need space to grow. If a palm is in a tight-fitting container, root bound, soil dries faster, therefore needing frequent watering or a larger pot.

Of course pests are always a possibliity. Three most common pests are spider mites, scale and mealy.
    Mites make fine webs. Scale, is usually brown, bumps. Mealy is white, and resembles cotton.
    Inspect your palm.

I doubt your palm has insects, but it doesn't hurt checking.

Brown, you need to learn how to download photos.

First, sign up with Flickr or Photo Bucket. If you go w/Flickr, I can walk you through the steps.
    Flickr is free up to 300 photos. As far as I know, Photo Bucket is free no matter how many pics are stored.

Good luck, Toni

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

The basic best thing you can do is too look for its basic care requirements and see if they are being met, if not correct. If you are and it is still doing poorly, Some thing else is wrong(Bugs, Disease, ect.) Is it root bound, is it sitting in water, is the soil dry. These three things can usually o a plant in. I cant really offer how to grow this possible Chamaedora elegans but Im shure somebody can

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Sorry hopefulauthor If i mentioned anything you already said, I was still typing when you subbmitted your comment

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the plant last October. It did well at first but I thought it needed to be in a larger pot so re-potted it, sprayed for insects and it really was looking fantastic, turning a rich dark green. Gorgeous plant. But it seems all of a sudden it's not looking all that well. I did cut off the brown. No I'm no certain it is a parlor but the pictures I've seen are as close as any of them. I will attempt Photobucket but I thought it was too complicated for this little dumbbell. Thanks to both of you for your help. BT

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

If the pic is on your computer, putting it on photobucket first requires unnecessary extra steps. You should be able to attach to this discussion by clicking the browse button just above where you type to reply.