Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

ID, Gardenia or jasmine, or...?

auron22
10 years ago

Thought i'd wait until it blooms to request help for an ID. I think it's about 12 years old? I've had it for 6 years. Every fall/winter it sheds all it's leaves except last year. Must have taken better care of it. I'm not really sure what this is, I've speculated gardenia jasminoides and jasminum sambac..but it could be something other than those.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought a side view of the flower might help. It puts out buds all summer/early fall. It's not as prolific this year, I think it's from the cool weather. They are usually in small clusters and the individual flower only smells fragrant for a day or two and is spent a day or two after the smell is lost.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the entire plant.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Not a relative of Gardenia or Jasmine. Your beauty is in the family of Apocynaceae. It is a double Tabernaemontana divaricata.

I find these are much easier than Gardenia to grow in pot. The fragrance is not strong in my experience. What is your experience?

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow jujujojo....I honestly didn't think it would be something else and I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you :). I'm seeing common names for it like "crape jasmine", I guess it's commonly mistaken as a jasmine.

The fragrance seems to be strongest on the first day, and begins fading. Usually the 3rd-4th day it has no scent. The flowers themselves begin to fade shortly after the scent is lost. But that was when it was in the same pot for a long time and never fertilized....wonder if this year the flowers will last longer.

In all honesty I was hoping for jasminum sambac for culinary uses, but I like this as well. A few years ago it threw out a "pup" and this year I separated it when repotting, having two of these besides an entrance sounds amazing. Maybe then the scent will carry. Think i'll try my hand at making cuttings and lurking exchange forums for more plants....lol

Edit; Forgot the "r" in "Crape jasmine"....

This post was edited by Auron22 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 17:43

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looked into it further, Wow these guys can flower in abundance! I must be doing something wrong because I've never had clusters with so many buds. Hopefully I can find a brighter spot for it and i'll start fertilizing regularly.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by Auron22 6b (My Page) on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 17:41

Mine never bloomed profusely either. But I like it ... a little white among dark green leaves.

It is a popular street-plant choice in South and South East Asia. It also grows wild in most of the mild or subtropical regions. The local name for them in Chinese is "dog-tooth flower". In comparison, both Gardenia and Jasmines have fancy names ... how unfair.