Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody know what type of plant i have?

Posted by biscuit135 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 14:42

Hey guys!

I am fairly new to owning plants and this little guy was the first one that i brought about 6 months ago, the problem is it aid it was a snake plant but im pretty sure now that this is not a snake plant... I think it may be a Ficus from research but thats about all i got. I would really appreciate if anybody could inform me aswell as providing details for care?

Cheers! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody know what type of plant i have?

You have a rubber tree, a Ficus

o

More specifically a Ficus elastica, you can likely find lots of care info. now that you've got a complete & specific name for it.

PS: Sorry, but I don't grow this, so I can't suggest care, but pls. give this a couple of days time & others who do grow it will come along & help.

This post was edited by pirate_girl on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:05

o

My rubber tree is pretty happy in a south facing window with ample direct sun (but please provide air movement or else it burns). I water it when potting media dries almost completely. I fertilize every 2 weeks. You can also put it outside for summer if you have a garden.

o

Most rubber trees are grown in low light/bright light, I believe. They dont need any direct sun to flourish. Like most house plants, morning sun is tolerated well.

I have known house plants (rubber trees) to tolerate dark corners and drought. My sister has a brown thumb. But she has had a rubber tree and a lemon-lime dracaena for a long time. She keeps her shades drawn for at least half the daylight hours, and waters occasionally. Im sure it could survive living with vampires. I know you could keep it alive.

This post was edited by Lauraeli on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:33

o

I believe the better care they get, the longer they keep their leaves, and the prettier they look..I dont reccomend direct sun as much as indirect light all day, maybe with morning direct sun..I will say they are very tolerant of bad conditions though, unlike their cousant, Ficus benjamina..

o

They might tolerate shady spots but all ficus elasticas I've seen in dark corners got extremely leggy. IMO they do very well in bright light.

o

"they do very well in bright light"

Notice you said bright not direct light, I agree with you on both points about too much shade and bright light, i dont agree that direct afternoon sun is 'always' good for them...........

o

Allright, I agree.
Probably all day direct sun in Ireland means something totally different than in other places.
So I'd say, keep the plant wherever it's been beacuse it looks happy :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here