Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

Will fish fertilizer work against scale as well as Fish Emulsion?

mcgyvr2009i
10 years ago

I bought something called Fish Fertilizer according to the product but the label said "Fish Emulsion Fertilizer." It's basically fish feces and boy does it smell like it. This is what I bought.

{{gwi:94535}}

at Lowes.

Is this the same thing? If not, will it at least destroy the scale infestation? Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let me rephrase what I said. The product label said "Fish Fertilizer" while the shelf label where the price is displayed usually underneath the product said "Fish Emulsion Fertilizer."

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

MC, I'm 99% certain your Fish Fertilizer is Fish Emulsion.
    NPK, 5-1-1 is the same.

What its size? Ounces? half or full gallon? It looks large.

One of my FE is Alaskan, but much smaller than your container, without a handle.

Yes, FE has an odor... :)
    FE killed a scale-infested Olive tree received from an online nursery, and citrus branches on either side of Olive.

I spray FE in autumn, as a preventative before plants come indoors.
    While spraying leaves for insects, FE also acts as a foliar feeding.
    It's also used like any other fertilizer.. Add water, then fertilize soil. Toni

PS. Odor lasts 2-3 days indoors.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome. So I did what you said. I mixed a capful with 16oz of water, sprayed those mongrels and now I'm awaiting results. 24 hours you said?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Mc...It took less than 24-hours to rid scale on my plants, hopefully, you'll have similiar success.

When did you spray with FE? Today?

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a few minutes before posting the response you just responded to.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

this is fe or at least it better be, its the same kind I just bought for the same purposes lol

from what I understand fe is the liquid remains after processing fish for fish oil and fish meal.

it looks like chocolate pudding and smells like the aftermath of an apocalyptic deluge.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'd like to know the type of plant you're spraying.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'd like to know the type of plant you're spraying.

• pigtails
    10 years ago

How much FE do i use for scale, i am spraying Lipstick vine, Arrowhead, Areca palmree, Corn Plant, Bougainvillea,Spider Plant, Coleus, Money Tree,English Ivy, Hypoestes, Philodendron. I also bought Bayer 3 in 1, new soil, i have read all the posts on this site...now i am so confused as what to use...So i bought Neem Oil, Pyrethrin, horticultural oil, i cannot find Brand X, or i would of bought that also. Diatomaceous Earth. Please help. Oh yes.... alchohol, dawn soap & q-tips really? I would spend the rest of my life on that lol.

• pigtails
    10 years ago

How much FE do i use for scale, i am spraying Lipstick vine, Arrowhead, Areca palmree, Corn Plant, Bougainvillea,Spider Plant, Coleus, Money Tree,English Ivy, Hypoestes, Philodendron. I also bought Bayer 3 in 1, new soil, i have read all the posts on this site...now i am so confused as what to use...So i bought Neem Oil, Pyrethrin, horticultural oil, i cannot find Brand X, or i would of bought that also. Diatomaceous Earth. Please help. Oh yes.... alchohol, dawn soap & q-tips really? I would spend the rest of my life on that lol.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Srad. You descrbed FE to a T. :)

Mcg..do you see scale?

Pigtails. You bought all the insecticdes you named? My God, if you use all of the above, at the same time, you'll kill the bugs and plants. lol.

Seriously, do you have access to the insecticides you named? Toni

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting